Bring MLB To Raleigh

Yeah I don’t at all expect this to ever happen, but it’s still fun to dream!

4 Likes

We have so many faux-urban areas already draining the life out of downtown and this could be the last straw. We severely lack the transit needed to prevent this issue and that’s my main argument against putting the stadium there. I do understand the somewhat lack of space downtown though but Downtown South seems perfect.

7 Likes

Yea agreed on the need for transit. But Downtown South will also be faux-urban and probably even more of a drain on downtown given its close enough to pull away but not far enough to be its own node.

2 Likes

I feel like Downtown South would just be a district of an expanded downtown, rather than a separate node. The space between is already filling in.

12 Likes

Given the future expansion of the skyline along Dix, that we’re already starting to see with the Weld and Rockway projects, lead me to believe otherwise. Downtown may be connected to Downtown South within the next decade. Plus I believe that it would be easier to expand the R-Line to that part of town :man_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

To suggest downtown south will be part of downtown and not its own node is laughable.

3 Likes

Can I ask why it’s laughable? Dense, tall buildings right next to Downtown, especially with these other developments going in. It’s not like it’s miles away like North Hills or Crabtree.

6 Likes

I don’t think its laughable!

1 Like

Agreed. And the next decade is the timeline we’re working with if we do ever get an MLB team. Looking medium to long term is the smart play here I think.

3 Likes

It’s 1.5 miles from Seaboard to the Convention Center, which is about the same as the distance to Penmarc / DoSo - so I guess technically it sh/could be a district of downtown but it’s definitely going to compete for density with unfulfilled parking lots in the CBD

Yeah, people are underestimating the impact an MLB stadium would have on mainly vacant land with nearby developable land (not vacant) and close proximity to Dix and downtown proper.

Thousands would want to live near Dix Park and Downtown South, which would entice developers to try to connect all of these areas (DS, Dix, & CBD).

4 Likes

I think of it similar to South End and Uptown Charlotte. Sure it seems connected but not really.

Like Village District is separate from Downtown. Iron Works area, etc. Its okay to have separate districts that are downtown-adjacent.

9 Likes

I think I see what you mean. I’d only say that as a person not from Charlotte, it feels like they’re both part of the “downtown” area. And if there is continuous urban development connecting them, what’s the difference?

1 Like

I think the closer the separate node is to downtown the better, as it’s easier to connect both areas with transit and active transportation infrastructure :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Do you consider the Village District to be downtown? Same distance.

Currently, no. But if in 20 years, the Forest Park neighborhood was somehow entirely redeveloped and urbanized, then yeah I would probably consider it the edge of downtown.

1 Like

I think PNC is an established faux urban area. Downtown Raleigh has red hat the energy wouldn’t be completed sucked out of them.

there infill down there in between it could be.

But @Loup20 MLB expansion might be further delayed.

The arena district can thrive and be its own Battery without baseball. Arenas host more events, plus Carter Finley and the fair’s calendar, and all the imminent infill.

Nothing beats a downtown (or close) baseball stadium with a downtown view. It has to be downtown south for us. The southern BRT segment checks the future transit box (though I’m confident once the arena district comes to fruition, we’ll figure out BRT there. Same with the airport, it’ll happen).

The soccer stadium should still be built, predominantly for NC courage at 10k capacity to start and expandable for NCFC to grow into it (dreaming about MLS promotion/relegation some day so I’ll stop lol). Kansas City shows there’s precedent for doing this and you can make a NWSL franchise the center of it all. Gorgeous waterfront stadium close to downtown (similar to DTS), selling out every game.

13 Likes