Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Raleigh

Looking at the volumes, the movement from Dawson SB to MLK currently carries around 4,700 while the MLK WB to Dawson SB carries 1,800 and MLK EB to Dawson SB carries 3,700. So putting that altogether on a Two-Way street we’re looking at around 10,000 VPD. Which in a vacuum isn’t that many. For comparison Dawson / McDowell through the interchange carries around 42,000 currently. It’s certainly doable on the square loop but it may get sticky in the afternoon. But it helps that the heaviest featured movement would be Right onto MLK. Same goes if we do a similar quadrant roadway on the SE Quadrant. Unfortunately I don’t have access actual TMC and Peak Hour counts to do some actual predicting. But your point of most traffic going through rather than turning is 100% spot on. My one worry though is that once the Western Blvd extension / connector to Cary Towne Blvd is erected that this may become the route of choice for vehicles between Cary and Downtown and we could be looking at some much higher volumes through here.

Big wildcard in this could be to tie Wilmington St into I-40 as the official Downtown Gateway

How @orulz had mocked it up and how I’m drawing it in Microstation (one day I’ll have enough time to finish and post it haha) keeps it out the historic district and just snakes through the Apartment complex and connects directly to West St.

7 Likes