Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Raleigh

Would also seem (contrary to what some on City Counsel and others want) that ITB density is going to go up quite a bit over next few years.

1 Like

Has there been any public confirmation about which option is going to be presented to the city council as the main north-south corridor in and out of town? Earlier today I was speaking with a city employee who said definitively that it was going to be Wilmington. (And I followed up for clarification to confirm that I was understanding that correctly.)

Has anyone else heard anything on this question? Wilmington always seemed like far and away the most logical choice to me, but I hadn’t yet heard that there had been a definitive decision about which route to recommend to the council.

I think that this decision will be made as a part of the FTA new starts/small starts process. As much as we might want to finalize our choice from among all the alternatives ASAP, if we want federal money we have to follow the federal process, and that means carrying “all reasonable alternatives” forward into the environmental impact stuty.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Took the bus from a dentist on New Bern into work downtown today. Here is what I saw.

Dentist appointment this morning then taking bus in to work. On a future @ GoRaleighNC BRT line. Current bus every 15 min 👍, but lots of stops, & an indirect route once downtown. I think BRT will be faster and MUST HAVE DEDICATED LANES!

I really appreciate the ability to check the real time bus location maps. Just google search “Raleigh 15 bus” for example. Click the first link and scroll down for real time location. I saw that bus 1301 was on the way, & came our from the bus stop shade as it got near.

I have never taken this route before, but hear it is the second most used. Were 3 people when I got on & by Raleigh Blvd. Up to 10. Not bad for 10:51 in the morning. Now another person on the other side of Raleigh Blvd. 3 student from Enloe & a Wheelchair user onboard. # mobility

There is a big sidewalk project coming for the stretch of New Bern Ave where I got on & it can’t come soon enough

11 Likes

Yeah it’s a pain in the butt to get to Alamo Drafthouse in a the bus. No side walks, only muddy paths.

2 Likes

When I was in Chicago, I could track buses directly in Google Maps which was very cool rather than having to use an alternate app. (You’d select a route and it would tell you in how many minutes that bus would arrive and show you it’s current location)

https://maps.google.com/help/maps/mapcontent/transit/live-updates.html

3 Likes

We go to Alamo Drafthouse a couple of times a month and always drive. I’ve love an alternative method that wasn’t a PITA. I MUCH prefer not driving.

1 Like

176 small-unit condos are coming across the street from WakeMed, and near a future BRT line:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article231113598.html

The development will be built in two phases, and the smaller units will allow for lower prices.

Great news for transit-oriented development in Raleigh!

10 Likes

Is there any way to read these without subscribing? People who do subscribe, do you find it worth the price? I’ve considered whether I should subscribe to N&O and/or TBJ before but I never know if it’s worth it.

This is great and what should happen.

1 Like

Incognito mode works on Chrome, surprisingly.

1 Like

Making the layouts smaller was important for the project, Sandman said, because it allowed them to get the starting price ranges under $200,000. Sales, which have already started and are being manged by Jason Queen’s Monarch Realty, will start at $185,000 and the upper price range will be $400,000.

This is great to hear! The lower-end units are smaller, but the point is that there is not much else like this in the Triangle that’s for sale rather than for rent, especially not new construction 5-10 minutes from downtown.

the units there will range in size from 550-square-foot one bedroom condos to 1,150-square-foot two bedroom condos.

3 Likes

Very interested to see how this plays out. Would have loved to see some TOD overlay reducing parking put on this area before this was announced, but all and all a good thing to see near transit. If you look at the zoning for the corridor, this fits into what I would call “low hanging fruit”. Was already zoned for this type of things based on being next to the Hospital. The rest of the corridor is where the battle to build anything will take place. We have so few actual condos in Raleigh and that is especially true for this area. Hopefully this ends up being a good example of smaller more units that can be compared to more expensive Single Family Homes in the area.

3 Likes

Can we just rezone that entire R-4 area along New Bern as RX-7 or something plz?

6 Likes

Of course the News & Disturber is trying to stir the pot this evening and I’m sure tomorrow, running an article alluding to how the transit project 'will run poor people out of their homes" .

A) It’s already happening regardless of transit
B) Have you actually taken a look at New Bern Avenue? Exactly what fine parts of American architecture does the N&O insinuate should remain? Bojangles? Cookout? or the other 15 artery clogging fried food establishments, mini-marts, or ‘bingo’ parlors?

I will admit that I haven’t read the article and am assuming that’s what the story says…because that’s what the N&O does so if anyone still actually pays for the paper and reads it and its a completely different than what I’m assuming it says, please share with those of us who are too cheap to pay!!!

2 Likes

Just as long as Jack’s and the Cook Out can find a good home somewhere nearby, I say the rest of the fast food on the section of New Bern near downtown can go away.

Dude.

Besides, the headline alone would’ve told you it’s not some elitist opinion column -but it’s about a more affordable housing option coming up in the pipeline.

7 Likes

I believe @UncleJesse was referring to a different article, focused specifically on the impacts of BRT on affordability, that was published later in the afternoon.

That’s not quite accurate . . . it’s a very short take on Raleigh’s investment in BRT in general, and only offers brief summaries of what the potential impacts of the new transit line along New Bern could be. Honestly, the real purpose of the article is to give the background for and promote interest in the upcoming BRT: Equitable Development Around Transit open house (this Thursday at the Convention Center).

3 Likes

TBJ has published an article on these Condos too, says they will begin construction on the first 72 units this summer. We should see progress in less than six months, and considering the developers have successfully completed hundreds of projects together, this should have no issues getting started.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/06/04/new-condos-ready-fo-sale-near-downtown-raleigh.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

1 Like