Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Raleigh

Nah, I was wondering the same thing. Like, I love the plan, but can I really expect them to do all of that stuff by 2025 or whatever the current projected date is for the Western Corridor? Doubt it, sadly.

Also, I still don’t understand how a BRT corridor works on a DDI. Guessing the bus is just going to confined to flow of traffic there.

1 Like

I would be shocked if this was all completed by 2027, especially after what’s happened this year

1 Like

I seriously doubt it. They dragged out the county transit plans to 2030 (expand my 2nd guess in my previous post), so no one is stopping them.

To be fair, the 2030 deadline is not because of COVID budget droughts. They started to move the “horizon year” (when every project in the county’s transit plan should be done) from 2027 to 2030 last summer, obviously before the pandemic. At the time, Raleigh wanted to accelerate popular projects like TODs and more frequent/later buses, so they had to move some timelines around to make that happen.

1 Like

Don’t read too much into the storymap; it shows a 100-year wish-list of ideas that the Urban Design Center staff came up with. Planning describes the map as showing “opportunities along the corridor that could compliment (sic) the installation of BRT,” not as shall-haves.

The actual BRT project itself isn’t Planning’s job, and almost certainly won’t touch any streets that aren’t immediately on the corridor. Cost-cutting means these projects have a way of shrinking in scope; I’m much more concerned that the BRT project will do too little (like neglecting adequate streetscaping, including basics like sidewalks on both sides & frequent safe crosswalks) than that it will try to do too much.

I’m glad they agree that the street network is wanting, and thought it was amusing that they’re taking a cue from @orulz and crayoning a bunch of new streets. Especially for this corridor, because I definitely remember that Western Blvd Extension (or maybe we should call it Cary Towne Connector?) was also a dashed line on maps in the 1980s – and only now does Raleigh actually want to build it.

Wondering when I should email them to let them know their survey link is still broken…

5 Likes

The BRT Branding Survey is up.

3 Likes

Western BRT survey link live:

3 Likes

Here’s an interesting video about why transit in the USA sucks. Though the video is fairly short, it does demonstrate, by comparing us to Canada, how we can implement a bus service that would take people out of their cars in largely suburban development. Hint: it has to do with buses.
This is part of their election series, but it’s not terribly political, and it does mention that both parties have some $$ skin in the game. However, it does tell us why one party tends to favor transit funding over the other, but it doesn’t assert a good-guy/bad-guy narrative.

9 Likes

Just want to point out that this is the same video that @919raised posted a few days ago, in case anyone felt some deja vu. It’s totally worth re-watching though!

The Wake Transit Plan includes funding to put buses on some ITB corridors run every 15 minutes or sooner (even more frequent than the 30min rule of thumb in Vox’s video)! Which is cool, except…

4 Likes

Ah…It was posted in another thread. Since I didn’t see it here in this one, I posted it. :wink:

Does anyone know how bus ridership is being tracked now that fares are not being collected? Side note does anyone know what last year’s or the year before ridership numbers are? I’m curious which routes were the busiest.

The two busiest routes are Capital Blvd #1 and the New Bern #2. Ridership had been growing before Covid. There has actually been what feels like a silent big change in our bus systems with added frequencies and routes over the last ~5 years that most people don’t see. I bought a house with good bus service to downtown where I worked, but I got a new job next to Lake Johnson where bus service was not good. Over the last year my potential bus commute to the new job has gone down by 45 min each way, and now includes 5min of walking instead of 25. So a decent sized improvement there. The big change was a frequent bus gotriangle 305 from downtown to Apex and Holly Springs.

10 Likes

correct me if I’m wrong but is the 15 minute service ITB just peak service or all-day? I would be impressed if it was all day.

1 Like

what’s changed with the 305? I haven’t been back to the office since March haha

The idea’s to have 15min-headway service all day, every day.

GoTriangle regularly reports the ridership, cost etc. for every route they run in annual budget meetings as well as updates to CAMPO. I don’t have the time to search for 'em now, but I know it’s out there (including for the most recent full fiscal year), and they’re supposed to benchmark them against what the county transit plan says you’re “supposed” to do.

And the 305, if you ask me, is this weird Frankenstein route that also goes to Holly Springs, now.

GoTriangle also made other service updates, explained here.

2 Likes

gotcha! I remember I had read that the frequent 305 service had gotten pushed back due to COVID so I was wondering if it was just the route extension or if there were a few trips added.

1 Like

I think it started since I last looked which was before Covid. Something with the 10 and 305 is lining up really well. Because google used to tell me to take other options and walk a long way.

1 Like

Glad to hear it helped you. I was always wondering if there were many people who rode the route. I used the 100/105 pre covid. Now I moved towards the city and wished I could get that frequency on the 6/16 combined mid day.

1 Like

Route 100 is now useless for me. It was direct from terminal 2 to Raleigh. Now there’s an RDU shuttle that goes to the regional transit center and adds 20+ minutes to the ride and a transfer.

Well I guess I will start car shopping now.

Google now says the trip takes almost an hour vs the previous 30 minutes. Great job Gotriangle. :clap:

2 Likes

I’m guessing it’s just temporary since there’s probably been a sharp decline in passengers taking the bus to the airport.

The GoTriangle 100 route change is temporary, like @pierretong asked.

I personally think a RDU shuttle could be valuable as a permanent thing. As long as it’s advertised in the airport better than it is now, wouldn’t it be great for visitors to have a choice for ways to get around key parts of the Triangle?

Why not have both that and a fully-served 100?

3 Likes