Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Raleigh

Still seems like a couple hypotheticals thrown in there with the “would likely have been” statement.

Either way the math doesn’t add up. 6-2 with 2 members switching would only make it 4-4, so who knows.

2 Likes

Maybe the board chair isn’t supposed to vote unless they need to break a tie. This is the case in a lot of boards of directors because the chair (sometimes called a president) needs to focus on presiding over discussions held by the board that they’re leading, so they shouldn’t take sides on final decisions unless they have to.

1 Like

So I’m thinking you mean pro-tempore?

The COW voted to recommend approval 6-2 (so eight votes total).

I believe two yes’s switched their votes and one person who had been in favor was absent, which means the votes to approve at PC now 3-4. Hence the motion to recommend approval did not pass. Then the opposite motion (i.e., the motion to recommend denial) passed 4-3.

Well I’m glad it was passed.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Transit Overlay Districts (TOD)

proper route numberage and signage for the colorblind…sometimes who ride the bus should be sufficient with a nice bus logo

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Transit Overlay Districts (TOD)

Thanks for that thorough analysis of using colors for transit lines.
While I think that all of your statements are valid, we’d be lucky to be in the position of running out of ADA colors to use!

I had the chance to ride Albuqueque’s BRT system and am even more excited about Raleigh’s BRT. The TOD zoning is an important step towards creating transit-supportive neighborhoods. While some displacement is possible, avoiding standards that encourage additional density, walkable neighborhoods, and mixed-use buildings would be a bad decision based on this fear. BRT is a practical step to increasing opportunity for Raleigh residents, but it cant’ be successful without land use to support it.

Photos and more thoughts on ART below:

9 Likes

construction “…starting about mid-February… about a one year process” :construction:

https://x.com/raleighchamber/status/1750914678501286071?s=46

20 Likes

Technically, I think some preliminary construction has already begun. They upgraded the stoplight at Trawick right before the holidays and I’ve seen a lot of median work being done from Yonkers to Raleigh Blvd, along with some underground fiber work & stormwater upgrades, up and down. So, not the bus lanes themselves, but clearly stuff that needs to be done ahead of time.
Edit: Additionally, it looks like for fitting in the stop at WakeMed, they’re having to rearrange a dozen or so electric poles at Sunnybrook. Some of that has started too.

18 Likes

Yeah, I think a lot of people underestimate how extensive the utility work to support something like this is.

Creating additional bus lanes sounds easy when you say it fast, but the associated relocation of utilities is significant. Hence the need for the studies and why construction is going to take longer than it probably feels is necessary.

6 Likes

I did a lot of work moving utilities for the widening and new construction on NC-55 in Angier last year. It takes much longer than most people would think. There are just so many things that all need to happen in the same space and it creates a crazy backlog.

8 Likes

Yup, and in this area, I guarantee there will be delays because a lot of the water lines, sewer lines, stormwater drains, culverts, etc date back over half a century. I won’t be surprised is something get busted along the way. In fact just last week New Bern was closed one day for several hours because of a gas leak.

3 Likes

Agreed! I work in utilities and moving them is such tedious work. But it’s so important to have them in the correct spot so they are operable and maintainable. Stuff that’s buried tends to be overlooked but it’s super critical!

6 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Transit Overlay Districts (TOD)

On way to the TOD hearing, I left early so I could drive slow down New Bern and get a better look at what’s started. It’s ramped up even more, lots of barriers and cones in various spots on the median, particularly at the Longview/Enloe station area. If you’re a regular commuter I give it about 2-3 weeks before you should seriously look at alternative routes to avoid construction.

5 Likes

Here are some more Station Area Planning Open Houses for your calendars.

Wake BRT: Southern Corridor Station Area Plan Open House

FEBRUARY 15, 2024 4:00PM

Wake BRT: Southern Corridor Station Area Plan Open House

FEBRUARY 17, 2024 9:30AM

Wake BRT: Southern Corridor Station Area Plan Virtual Open House

FEBRUARY 22, 2024 6:30PM

Wake BRT: Western Corridor Station Area Plan Open House

FEBRUARY 17, 2024 12:30PM

Wake BRT: Western Corridor Station Area Plan Open House

FEBRUARY 20, 2024 4:00PM

Wake BRT: Western Corridor Station Area Plan Virtual Open House

FEBRUARY 21, 2024 6:30PM

11 Likes

Reminder: BRT Southern SAP meeting this afternoon. The Saturday meeting will be held in the same location as the District D Neighborhood Alliance meeting. Will be a great opportunity to voice your input!

11 Likes