Business Expansion in the Triangle

I’ve been to the restaurant twice and the store twice. Better service and product with the store. But I take your point.

1 Like

Losing the restaurant space in a vintage building was a huge loss for Glenwood South. If it’s gonna be a tech store, at least make it an Apple Store that would have foot traffic!

4 Likes

Maybe an Apple store will be in smoky hollow. The surface parking lot that many of the late night patrons use for Glenwood South will be going away very soon for Phase 2. I wonder long term how Smoky Hollow will impact Glenwood South.

3 Likes

I’m curious what some of you had for dinner at 518 and disliked it. Losing Serg and the whole Chapel Hill Restaurant Group overnight to this useless Google Fiber store is a real shame.
411 West in Chapel Hill is very similar to what 518 was and wins awards nearly every year for best Italian in the triangle.
All of their other restaurants are fantastic too, and it would be awesome to have them back in Raleigh, especially downtown.

2 Likes

The actual quality of the food at 518 West doesn’t matter in this conversation. Whether you liked it or not, that place had a following. Period.

With that following came sidewalk activity 7 days a week. What Google has provided brings nothing to the streetscape. They even ripped out a few trees and replaced them with rocks. Yes, the space is nice but it does not contribute nearly as much as 518 West did. They were one of the few restaurants that could handle a large space, keep it lively and not turn over every year like we’re seeing with some of the other restaurateurs doing with large spaces.

I will not miss google if they close up that place and leave.

6 Likes

Google Fiber is pulling out of Louisville. Hope they don’t leave Raleigh. I don’t care if they leave that store however.

I have the feeling that Google Fiber has been pushed down into a little office in the basement and forgotten about in the grand scheme of Alphabet They figureed out how to rule the world without needing their own network. let other companies spend the money and deal with hassle of running the internet. Would not be to surprised if there are people high up in corporate that would say “WHAT we run a consumer network, what the (um) heck for!!!” when they first hear of Goggle Fiber

2 Likes

No, they are just switching everything to google access. In Googles opinion, fiber is already obsolete

1 Like

I won’t miss it either, and I’ll bet you that they leave in the not too distant future. I’d love to see the space get activated again into something people will patronize. While at it, I’d like to see that catty-corner house restored into an ice cream and Turkish coffee place again! I loved that place.

7 Likes

I never went there, and I’d like this too because now I want to go!

1 Like

I figure…Between Smoky Hollow and One Glenwood, it will make a big impact all along Glenwood South. spilling over to West street, Glenwood South will be the place to go, I think.

1 Like

Does this mean there is a under the radar RBC IT development office in Raleigh? From TBJ report on RBC plans to push back into US as a online bank.

“we’ve built on our digital franchise out of Raleigh, North Carolina”

1 Like

In Brier Creek I believe.

How do all you people have Google Fiber? I live a mile from the building, have fiber sticking up in my yard, and still no service.

3 Likes

All I can say is I live on mountain top, a mile off public road and have GB fiber running to house. Do not pay for anything over 25mb, see no need for anything near GB speed. I think of GB internet (for anything other than corporate campus) is like HS boys auguring over mine is bigger or faster than yours.

A year or so ago, I got an email saying it easy available and I signed up. It’s been great.

2 Likes

Same here. I’m a mile east of Fayetteville Street and still no Google fiber available. The rollout has been disappointing. There was a lot of hype around it but not much has really changed. I think it may have motivated AT&T to bring faster speeds quicker but that’s really all that happened from my POV.

1 Like

You’re probably closer to the Google Fiber office on Glenwood than to an actual fiber line! So ironical. Come on googs, get it together!

1 Like

I live on Wade Ave. They tore up my yard and installed new fiber over a year ago along the sidewalk easement. Also, there is a distribution “fiber hut” 1/2 a block away. But I’m convinced google fiber will never be an option for me. I called them about 9 months ago asking what can I do to get the service. They said I needed to petition my neighborhood and get written agreements from enough people within a limited square mileage in order to apply for a “fiber-hood”. I told the guy that’s not how to earn my business.

What bugs me the most are all the concessions they demanded and received from the City. I’m sure those concessions involved a great deal of employee time, resources, and money.

4 Likes

I mean, in all honesty it doesn’t make sense for them to install in your neighborhood if you or you and a few other people are the only subscribers. They need to start in areas where they can densely install, and after a while they can install in neighborhoods where they have a less dense customer base.

The reality is, they are not trying to earn your business at this time.

1 Like