Business Expansion in the Triangle

I agree! Which is why they will never get it! They are no longer acting in good faith. Maybe they started that way, but they didn’t follow through. Lack of action has consequences just as much as action does.

1 Like

Also, I’m in the sunset hills neighborhood. There’s plenty of density for an Internet Service Provider to succeed. A few months before I had that phone call with Google Fiber, AT&T sales people were walking door-to-door asking for my internet business.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-29/amazon-taylor-swift-tennessee-lgbt?utm_content=business&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&sfns=mo

Let’s see if TN makes a mistake here that could hamper the momentum in Nashville. Oracle has not pulled the trigger on their expansion yet I believe

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be a slap in the face to Nashville if Amazon decided to pull out of its 5000 person operation there?

Has work starting on the Amazon buildings yet?

won’t happen because Tennessee’s legislators aren’t as stupid as NC’s and won’t let this nonsense advance to an actual piece of legislation. Not saying the ones pushing this sort of crap are any smarter than the NCGOP…because they are not, but the reasonable minded traditional ‘business conservatives’ won’t allow that sort of idiotic legislation to pass because they saw how badly in impacted North Carolina’s reputation…which is still stained today as a result.

1 Like

The articles says that the bills are quickly moving through the legislature and the governor is likely to sign them. Pass the popcorn!

2 Likes

Let’s see if money/reputation wins out over their convictions. Usually money wins. As stated above, pass the popcorn.

Lol, the Tennessee legislators make ours look like geniuses.

https://www.nashvillepublicradio.org/post/tennessee-senate-pushes-debate-controversial-adoption-bill-2020#stream/0

TN legislation appears to be smarter than our folks. Don’t push controversial policies when big companies consider your state - it could be so simple.

1 Like

In today’s TBJ there is a article stating that a Firm has picked downtown Raleigh over Orlando & Nashville for a Hub location .

7 Likes

That’s the one Drew referred to in the One Glenwood thread. A 30 employee hub.

2 Likes

Company called “Heapy” - professional consulting form. Going to top floor of One Glenwood.

2 Likes

Nice to see Raleigh beating Nashville for one, even if it is relatively modest

2 Likes

They still have Doug the Pug, tho…

3 Likes

A new study gives NC 3 of top 10 spots on best place to start a business.

3 Likes

report showing effect of triangle universities. Seems there is a lot more local startups that I thought. Would be nice if a number of these grow in to the next SAS or Red Hat for local area.

"Triangle-area research universities are producing over 40 companies per year – as well as thousands of inventions, patents and millions in licensing revenue.

the Carolina Angel Network at UNC, Wolfpack Investment Network at N.C. State and Duke Angel Network at Duke – have invested more than $25 million through nearly 50 deals with early stage companies.

“If you had asked when we started if two years down the road we’d have 500 accredited investors and $25 million put to work between the three universities, I don’t think anyone would have believed that,” Fulghum says. "

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/05/09/41-companies-formed-out-the-big-three-research.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

5 Likes

Unfortunately, when these companies become successful, they get bought up by larger out-of-state companies and the triangle gets screwed. SAS is an exception.

3 Likes

Not sure where else to put this, since it’s interesting but doesn’t warrant its own topic…

Turns out Boston started a new program with TSA, where bus riders (from one transit center, for now) can get security preclearance when they’re at the airport! Plus, people using the bus from the airport can get on them for free.

If this works out well, I wonder if RDU can also increase transit ridership (and alleviate capacity problems in its parking decks)?

6 Likes

Very interesting and sort of showing how much security theater there is involved in the whole TSA process.

7 Likes