Business Expansion in the Triangle

I wonder what the new logo will look like… How long till it replaces the BB&T on Two Hanover?

logo will be a great big T, with a new headquarters being build in shape of a T after they decide to more to Raleigh, only problem is they will want it to be 41 stories tall so will have to drop plans to move :grin:

I will be moving from Truist…just because its a stupid name. Within 5 years it will probably be called JP Morgan Chase anyway.

3 Likes

Funny part is they probably paid a branding agency MILLIONS of dollars to come up with it

…of “your” money, not mine…lol
I “bank” with the NC State Employees Credit Union…The best and 2nd largest credit union in the US! :grinning:

3 Likes

NC employees credit union is legit

3 Likes

FCB has long held firm to their idea of how their bank should look, and that has not included downtown. I don’t foresee them moving back anytime soon, especially since NH has exploded like a mini-downtown. I am sure they are perfectly comfortable where they are in relation to some of their customer base.

Which is a shame. They should be more involved, but it’s not like they’ve been excluded. It is on FCB to make that decision, and the Holding family has never been a fan of downtown.

1 Like

Jesse Lipson from Sharefile and Citrix is looking to double the headcount of his new startup “Real Magic”
They are currently inside HQ Raleigh, but they can only offer so much space, probably looking for Class A office space in the future.

5 Likes

Nashville is gaining ground… when they got AllianceBernstein and Amazon Ops location I thought those had specific cases for the city but recently Nashville has become a stronghold for tech expansions

2 Likes

Yep, Nashville has gone totally nuts. Over 20 ten+ story projects underway, including a 40 story, $400M Four Seasons tower. Lots of tech relocations, some from CA, and that AllianceBernstein relo is from NYC.

Oracle is still in play as well. Now… since these firms are favoring sunbelt towns… Raleigh is a strong option obviously. They could possibly go to the Triangle with the large project they’ve been shopping. Apple still owns a huge lot near RTP. Who else is eying the area?

Once the Kane Soccer Complex (aka South Hills Raleigh) gets going with the stadium, and the plan for the office towers starts to emerge, an opportunity for a large relo could really get the project jumpstarted. Amazing naming rights at the new south entrance to the city, along I-40 and future mass transit lines. So much to leverage! That has to tantalize a firm that’s looking to make the jump.

Oracle Raleigh Arena? It would be a great time for a corporate interest to get involved with the project and sign up to anchor one of the most prominent towers there and get the positive momentum from helping to open the area.

7 Likes

I think the 0% state income tax move by TN was a smart move!

Austin and now Nashville have been pulling away. But we got to be next in line… There are plenty of hungry mid size cities with growing tech eco systems besides us: Columbus, OH, Indy, Pittsburgh, Orlando/Tampa etc

What can we do now to strengthen our position and brand?

5 Likes

I’m still holding out hope for “Epic Games Stadium.”

7 Likes

Maybe, but I don’t think they’d relocate there. They just had their offices redone, a year or two ago. And they have more work happening, what I don’t know, but I know they got materials delivered recently. (Saw Epic Games construction materials on delivery truck the other day) so there is some ongoing work still.

Malik and the NCFC offices are practically next door to Epic right now but I’m not thinking about them moving. I’m talking about naming rights for the stadium.

I’m just thinking that “Epic Games” and Fortnite night would be a pretty awesome fit for MLS.

1 Like

Worlds 1st(?) outdoor esports arena?

games shown on jumbo-tron

Run the GOP out of office.

3 Likes

it’s not just the GOP, need get get legislators in there that think more about what’s good for state as a whole and not what will get them reelected, same goes for city.

9 Likes

Except that the GOP IS the problem on that front too. They dominate the legislature now. They can’t stand the cities and have implemented policies very detrimental to the cities, not to mention the even more idiotic legislation like our favorite HB2!!! Nashville got an HQ2–ish Amazon site…because even the Tennessee legislature was smart enough not to implement an asinine bill like HB2

8 Likes

While I think this was entirely uncalled for…

Keyword, “too”.

@scotchman: On the one hand, of course I think you’re right: local politicians who care more about their vocal constituents and (re)electability over doing things that actually matter. Councillors being anti-transit, anti-dense development etc. for BS’d reasons is just the tip of the iceberg as to how local (in)action builds the places and spaces that make our day-to-day life happen. Caring about where the system could change most matters; I totally agree with you on that front.

But does that mean Jesse’s point is wrong, too? The goals of the Republican Party -not of all conservative Americans, not of GOP voters, but of JUST the political party- seems to lean towards bringing down the influence and power of cities.

This concept reflects itself in a lot of ways (but dtraleigh.com is not a site to talk about race relations, voting rights, corporate taxes etc.). But you have to admit more than a few things the GOP likes to push can have effects that are anti-city and anti-development, especially in North Carolina. For example:

making decisions made by city residents pointless
making some employees' lives harder than it already is (or worse)
creating a harder world for companies to find new, good workers

It’s not like a canary-in-a-coal-mine situation, either. It doesn’t look like a lost cause to deal with political party-related disagreements on a local level.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/04/polarization-cities-education-labor-public-opinion-taxes/587746/

3 Likes