Business Expansion in the Triangle

Raleigh still going strong…

5 Likes

So, we’re losing big names because we don’t have a big name. This is why brand identity is something that Raleigh needs to work on.

4 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

Interesting that both of those companies are moving into the same building. 227 Fayetteville.

3 Likes

I had a feeling we’d start to see some companies head south as Amazon increases cost and talent competition in DC.

6 Likes

Software company just leased 11,000sqft in north hills. Interesting how one employee who left SF for Raleigh to be close to family lead to this. Never know what will cause things to happen.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article235231557.html

3 Likes

That’s some pretty incredible growth from one remote employee 2 years ago.

1 Like

That sure is. It’s interesting to see the considerations for moving to North Hills vs Downtown or other areas.

This article talks about Advance Auto Parts moving from suburban Raleigh to North Hills.

“We weren’t confident we would be able to attract the type of person that we need to drive our agenda with this location (on Millbrook Road),” Greco said in an interview in his office.

“You talk about downtown versus this particular part of Raleigh, or even North Hills,” he added, “a lot of the younger, up-and-coming … employees want to live in those areas.”

I think as companies such as Advance Auto and these Silicon Valley companies that come to North Hills and other dense areas realize how much they like those dense mixed-use areas, they will consider their next move to Downtown itself.

4 Likes

There just needs to be more supply and more experiences downtown. Smoky Hollow takes a huge step in that direction as the entire NW side of DT moves toward being an 18 hour neighborborhood (SH+Glenwood South).
In the end, North Hills is just a handful of miles north of downtown. Other cities have these sorts of developments many miles further from their respective downtowns. An example of this is The Domain in Austin, TX. It’s similar to North Hills but more than 9 miles north of the corner of 6th & Congress. NH to DT Raleigh is only 4. Energy there spreads southward while DT Raleigh’s energy moves northward. IMO, it’s all a good thing.

8 Likes

I was just at the Domain in July and thought, “this looks a lot like North Hills, but bigger!”

2 Likes

Yep. I’ve been there too. It’s a very similar concept, only larger in a Texas sort of way.

1 Like

That’s also where Austin’s MLS stadium is going nearby.

Interesting that their soccer stadium is going to be so far removed from downtown. It’s a decent suburban development, but it’s nowhere near downtown and its urban credentials aren’t anything like the proposed downtown south project.

1 Like

Epic Games could be up to 2000 people in the area over the next several years. But they’re in Cary.
I wonder if they have considered expanding in DTR. Probably the higher costs are a deterrent. But solid public transit could make a difference.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article235752097.html

5 Likes

Just imagine a 40story building in DTR with great big “EPIC” sign at top :grinning: and the design would have to live up to the name.

5 Likes

Sounds like they are committed to Cary since they bought land to expand their campus. But an EPIC branded Esports stadium / arena in DTR would be epic.

6 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong, but for a software company, a big tower downtown seems more like a vanity project than a business asset. I imagine the only reason you would do it is for talent acquisition, but I assume most video game developers spend a lot of time working from home. The only software company I know of with a big signature tower like that is Salesforce (I’m sure there are probably others).

Other than that, I generally think economic gains for the Triangle are usually beneficial for Raleigh, even if it’s outside the city limits. Good-paying jobs means more people to spend money DT.

6 Likes

Red Hat anyone???

8 Likes

Pendo too …

3 Likes