Business Expansion in the Triangle

A loading dock right on the plaza??

5 Likes

That was my first reaction too. It sure looks like it. It does make for a multi-use space!!

3 Likes

Seems I remember this company but did not know it was this big and growing. 500 in local area and 2000 world wide.

3 Likes

The last of the Wade Park office buildings (just outside the beltline, but in my neighborhood) is finally almost done.

13 Likes

Curved glass! :star_struck: would be nice to see more of that downtown

4 Likes

Just saw this. It’s just up the road from my neighborhood on the way to the art museum. Currently a giant empty lot used for storing cars and state fair parking. Apparently the parking will continue in some form.

13 Likes

Parked there after waiting for 2 hours on Edwards mill for the state fair. But I’m glad something is planned for the lot.

DT or not, this is a huge announcement for a Raleigh HQ. Given that it’s not a far commute from DT, I think that the core of the city is going to get its fair share of new residents from the added jobs.

9 Likes

I love this announcement! To me this is a major win on at least two fronts:

1. A major expansion of a homegrown business success story that was recruited by other cities.

2. Development of a relatively close in parcel that was vastly underutilized by the state as an occasional parking lot. And Bandwidth will continue to provide (hopefully structured) parking. Sure, it would be cool downtown, but this spot is at least in Raleigh near the interstate and I’m glad the area is densifying somewhat. It really is a great location.

This coming during the pandemic makes it even more welcome.

Edit: rereading the article I see the parcel is a massive 40 acres, so probably not on the structured parking and semi-density, but still a nice win for the city, and an office building and parking lot is still better than just parking.

7 Likes

When pharma and medical companies start reshoring we will see a lot more of these announcements over the coming years. Triangle major cost advantage over NJ, Boston, etc.

5 Likes

Great point. NC will clearly benefit. You’d reckon a lot of that will be in the Raleigh area.
From a report from John Boyd (re-location expert):

“North Carolina is already a location of choice for the global biopharma industry,” he adds. “That
said, you can expect major new investments to pour into the state … some projects spurred by
the coronavirus, whether related to vaccine development, respiratory treatment or diagnostic
fields.”

2 Likes

If there is an area in the world that may actually benefit from this, we are living in it.

4 Likes

I think that the jury is still out on how they intend to develop the land. If they are smart, they’ll move away from a 20th century model that would presume low rise buildings surrounded by surface parking.

3 Likes

Another chance MLB bid another billionaire in the Triangle.

1 Like

I’m not really up on this specifically, but I thought reshoring peaked a couple of years ago during the corporate tax holiday? Is it expected to start increasing again for some reason? I know companies are trying to diversify their supply chains away from solely China for various reasons (the trade war, and the risk of continued flu pandemics chief among them), but I thought that mostly meant spreading out into the rest of East Asia, India and (in the long run) Africa? Maybe they’ll run up against the limits of the costs savings eventually, but that’s not expected to be for decades, and potentially longer if Africa takes China’s place with cheap labor.

2 Likes

I hope we will carefully evaluate where we source our pharmaceuticals. It was eye opening to many of us outside the industry just how dependent we are on China and India.

I think the coronavirus will not just affect our trade with China, but also will cause a rethinking of any outsourcing for products seen as essential for future pandemics.

2 Likes

Medical supplies will be different going forward. Would not be surprised of a government mandate demanding so. We are not talking about Barbie dolls.

1 Like

Maybe… we have great traditions of not learning from past mistakes. I’m not wholly convinced we’ll learn from this and take corrective action to prevent it happening in the future. I hope we do but I can’t say for sure that we will.

4 Likes

Having to ration face masks this week. One is mandatory for any staff member facing a patient. Can wear it for up to five shifts, pocketing it in a brown paper lunch bag. First week down, and trying to find a nursing station willing to produce one, when requested, induces a anxious look from the manager with the key. On the flip side, over in ‘Corona-ville,’ it’s single use and toss. No questions asked. (But, don’t come in sneaking a mask if you’re not seeing somebody there on the unit. Major stink-eye looks.)

I’ve been in this business for 25 years, and I’ve never seen this kind of response. So, yeah, production models will likely change for sure.

Now, I’m waiting for the next complaints about disposal systems getting overrun with spent ‘medical waste.’

4 Likes