Business Expansion in the Triangle

Just donate two unopened N95s I found in my shed to Wakemed yesterday. I hope you can get all the PPE you need!

3 Likes

With how medical devices laws work, I’d think a lot of it would rely on:

1. the FDA making it easier to make and sell Class 1 devices (gloves, masks, and other things that won’t directly and immediately kill you if it breaks)

2. changing tax rules to encourage domestic production -rather than outsourcing everything for the sake of QuArTeRlY pRoFiT$$$

I hope at least one of these things happen. …but … even if it does, I don’t know if I trust this administration to do it correctly without messing up something big down the road…

1 Like

It will require a mandate. Unfortunately with BoDs obligated to act on best interest of share holders instead of best interest of the nation/mankind, I don’t think it will happen otherwise. Pretty asinine system especially when it all comes crumbling because we offshored things we shouldn’t have to cut costs/push stock prices, while exposing our underbelly to a pandemic.

3 Likes

little more info on Bandwidth expansion/relocation and what they do.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article241828781.html

6 Likes

I found it interesting they’d been to Oregon to look at Patagonia’s HQ and are planning a Montessori school on their campus. I look forward to seeing their building plans.

1 Like

not sure what this means??? from TBJ

" BANDWIDTH EXPANSION INCLUDES STATE FAIR PARKING: An interesting feature of Bandwidth’s major plans for a new $70 million headquarters in Raleigh includes enhancing the parking situation for the annual N.C. State Fair.

The site for the new headquarters is state-owned and located at the southwest corner of Edwards Mill and Reedy Creek roads. Bandwidth plans to buy 40 acres for $30 million.

An SEC filing shows the state will offer a lease arrangement for adjoining land where Bandwidth can build a parking facility. If Bandwidth constructs a covered facility, it will also enter into an agreement with the state [ to allow the parking to be used for 11 days during the state fair held each October.

3 Likes

Enlist Kane to build a Mega-Deck!!!

How this reads to me:

• Bandwidth buys 40 acres from state of NC
  • If Bandwidth builds a parking deck on some nearby land that the state still owns, the state agreed to grant use of the land and parking deck to Bandwidth for 354 days per year (365 - 11), probably at a reduced rate or for free for a certain number of years to help cover the cost of the deck

Seems a little more convoluted than just selling the land to Bandwidth and Bandwidth leasing use of the deck to the state 2 weeks a year, but I guess retaining ownership of the land gives the state more leverage and protection if Bandwidth decided they didn’t want to participate anymore (or jack up prices), and Bandwidth gets to use extra land 95% of the year that they didn’t have to pay for outright (on top of the cost of a parking deck they were going to need to build anyway).

4 Likes

kind of what I thought it said but with 40 ac why build a deck on state land. Unless they are planing to build 1m plus on one story building on their 40 ac. :thinking:

from SEC filling that’s not much help

I hate that they’ve turned what was until recently a large meadow into a parking/staging area. Hopefully Bandwidth has a lighter footprint and will restore as much of that property as possible. That was part of a large uninterrupted natural area consisting of Umstead, Lake Crabtree Park, Schenck Forest, and Prairie Ridge Ecostation. It was habitat for meadowlarks, kestrels, and loggerhead shrikes amongst many other species.

3 Likes

Indeed one of the best places to spy loggerheads around…

1 Like

Had a turtle head near there one time…

Is that a poop joke? :yum:

2 Likes

more info in Bandwidth’s new HQ

*500,000 Sqft building
*on site Montessori School for children aged nine months to five years old

Also some good info in this link

hope to be in building by the end of 2022.
“We want to hire here; we are bias to grow here”

10 Likes

Just so awesome, it is great to be activating that area of the city, that area has massive potential to be a major entertainment district. Tons of land and room.

1 Like

OMG the copy editing in that article was horrendous. I get that it was probably written/edited from a kitchen table alongside a screaming baby, but really?

2 Likes

My dream job is working from home as a consultant providing basic grammatical, homophone, idiom, and spelling edits for online publications.

Sorry, what’s that??? :innocent::grin:

1 Like

there are gig jobs such as that

I know someone who’s been doing that for 2 decades. It’s totally possible.

1 Like