Business Expansion in the Triangle

It’s going to take years to finish up the campus. Not even the Austin campus is ready and that project was supposed to be ours and two years earlier.

2 Likes

Very true, but I know my company (which has a campus) is now starting to rethink their overall headcount when we do ever return to the office. There will be more teams being looked at to become permanent work from home. My dad worked for Duke at the ATC and they completely vacated their large footprint there, moved the majority to WFH, and now have a smaller building in downtown Durham for ‘critical onsite’ folks and meetings basically.

I’m sure their (Apple) full plans aren’t set in stone or anything at this date. Maybe they’ll adjust their overall plans for how many would go into the office vs. how many are WFH. Just my rambling $0.02 on this Friday morning.

I guess until we can convince the other 40% of Americans to get vaccinated we’ll be in this situation indefinitely.

13 Likes

Sad and true……………can’t “infringe on their freedoms”…….to spread disease to everyone else

7 Likes

My company ironically is making a huge push to get everyone back in the office, even when we can work from home without issue. Sort of frustrating to take away at least the flexibility.

3 Likes

I know right, if only we had followed the success other states are having with vaccine passports and 90%+ compliance, this thing would totally be behind us.

Same for mine. They brought a bunch of folks back at the height of the delta wave…

SMDH

I actually want to go back to the office. At least part time. Tired of sharing the house all day with teenagers lol.

5 Likes

I’ve been in the building as needed since this began. I just kind of resent basically being told to be there all the time for no reason, especially with Delta and Omicron now. I’m not worried about getting seriously ill, it just seems like ironic timing

2 Likes

My company pushed return to office back from Jan to March, adding that they’re rethinking things overall.

1 Like

Rumors have Amazon will have a small presence in Raleigh/Durham. Maybe in RTP. Job posting are indication as much, as so is the software dev community chatting about it.

15 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/01/11/amazon-boosts-hiring-for-local-tech-jobs.html

Just an FYI, regarding Amazon. Removing warehouse employees, Amazon already has upwards of 400+ remote employees in the Triangle, and growing everyday. They actually recruit really strongly at NCSU.
A lot of them in the Supply Chain space, as well as BIE, some Software Engineers…. My friend actually works on Alexa AI and lives in Morrisville.

Lastly, they have a stealth office space on Meridian in Durham/ RTP, where they code the “remote workers to”…. Expect the hiring to continue, but would be surprised if it ever exceeded over 1500 employees….

Just an FYI Charlotte, Miami, Kansas City, Omaha have similar setups. Its a way for Amazon to allow remote workers while still being able to claim tax benefits from states/ municipalities by coding them to certain cities but not requiring top talent to go into the office

13 Likes

Welcome. Love the username! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

i can’t read the article but are they implying something different in terms of Amazon hiring here than just ‘remote employees’?

The article implies that Amazon posted 50 jobs linked to Raleigh and Durham for client support, architects, cybersecurity etc, to the writer it implies that Amazon is targeting the triangle……but

being in the know they do this every few months in order to pluck PhD/Masters students from Duke and NCstate…. I hate to say it’s a nothing burger, but slightly nothing burger… it’s been going on for Atleast 3 years, and how the Amazon machine keeps feeding itself (hiring college talent)…. I personally think Amazon is hurting itself by not putting an office building on 40 with an Amazon sign on it… (more so for recruiting purposes than anything)

3 Likes

maybe just waiting on DT South’s 1st office building…

3 Likes

Can 100% tell you without a doubt that they wouldn’t do DT South….

They’ve looked at 4 locations before…

DT Durham,
RTP
Morrisville
North Hills

I wouldn’t be surprised for them to take up some space in North Hills or DT Durham within the next 3 years.

4 Likes

You know Durham would market/brand the heck out of the fact them having both Google and Amazon in downtown Durham if that were to happen.

1 Like

If they are willing to go to North Hills, they should be okay with DT South. Come on Kane, use the wrong form when you have them sign!

1 Like