Business Relocation/Economic Expansion

I believe here: 2400 Ellis Rd, Durham, NC 27703

Back to their Ellis road location

So presumably this is a result of less people actually going back to the office, or downsizing or both?

1 Like

Feel the thrill!

3 Likes

For a bit of context, I work in this building (when I’m not WFH). Here’s some more details:

Quintiles bought my company many years back, but we kept our building and brand. At some point we needed to move, and one of the two Quintiles single story office buildings (Imperial Center on S Miami Blvd) near the Plaza (the tall HQ) was basically gutted and had lab and some office put in. Around this time, Quintiles and Quest Diagnostics did a joint venture called Q2 Solutions, and we and other parts of both businesses got incorporated into that. The HQ for Q2 Solutions became this Imperial Center building we were already in, and the other building next door as well. The Quintiles people in that second building moved into the Plaza at this time.

Meanwhile, Quintiles rebranded as IQVIA after a merger with IMS Health, and they had dual HQs: one in the Plaza in RTP, and one in Connecticut (IMS’s HQ). When Quest’s term ended, the Q2 Solutions joint venture became a wholly owned subsidiary of IQVIA. The Q2 site also was becoming too small, so they purchased the building you showed here on Ellis Rd to create a campus for both Q2 labs, Q2 HQ, and some IQVIA people. We all moved in about 2.5 years ago. This happened during Covid, and the people at the Plaza were basically all remote. The original HQ for IMS Health in Connecticut basically became the HQ for IQVIA, and the Plaza became mostly vacant. Some people have come back in the office, but they’ve moved all of them from the Plaza to this new Ellis Rd (Innovation Park) site. IQVIA is mostly in the glass portion on the right, and Q2 is basically in the building on the left, which continues on for quite a ways. Now they’ve got this empty Plaza building with a lease until 2026, so they’re going to try to find companies to sublet as much as they can until the lease ends.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. If there’s any questions remaining, I’ll try to answer them.

17 Likes

Cary nabbed the first US office for Ebury, a fintech majority owned by Santander. I believe it will be a small office, but a nice win nonetheless.

Ebury expands Mass Payments division with new US office in North Carolina’s tech triangle

6 Likes

Now, if we could just get someone to nab Cary and move it to another county…lol :joy::joy::joy::joy:
Sorry I’m just in one of those weird moods today :wink::crazy_face:

Dateline: Lexington NC. Depot

Current situation: Siemens Mobility announcement.

The company will build passenger cars, and later locomotives, in a new 200-acre facility here. It will be their eastern North American manufacturing location.

When it starts operations in 2024, it will incorporate on some of the latest technologies found in the Sacramento facility including robotic welding, 3D printing, and Virtual Reality welder training. In addition, when fully operational the facility will be carbon neutral, playing an important role in sustainability commitments.

All aboard!

32 Likes

Whaoh! Will they build Charger locomotives here?!?

3 Likes

Wow, this is awesome news!! I’m generally enthusiastic about the Siemens takeover of passenger rail manufacturing in the US, but also thrilled that North Carolina gets a piece of that pie. Imo, the more train “stuff” happening here, the better.

6 Likes

Now let’s figure out how to USE those trains!

12 Likes

According to the TBJ, North Carolina’s incentive was $16.8M and Davidson County sweetened it with another $16M.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/03/07/lexington-lands-seimens-mobility-rail-car-factory.html

1 Like

Pretty cool in the last year or so North Carolina has announced big wins with planes (Boom Supersonic), trains (this thing), and automobiles (VinFast & Toyota). All we need is some sort of space craft announcement and we’re covered.

12 Likes

The press release mentions railcar manufacturing plus overhaul capabilites for cars and locomotives.

The passenger coach manufacturing factory, as well as first-of-its-kind locomotive and passenger coach overhauls facility will be on a 200-acre site allowing for future facility expansion.

6 Likes

Hopefully this can give us some really nice passenger cars for our passenger lines

2 Likes

I did a bit of sleuthing and it seems like this is likely going to be the location of this factory.

This could be a master class in building bipartisan support for passenger rail in our state. More passenger train service → more NC factory jobs!

17 Likes

This is what im thinking. Passenger rail manufacturing may get the GA to finally roll over and consider investing in rail. At least lifting its stupid cap on funding rail transit here. Budgets for state agencies usually involve suppliers and companies with large operations in the state.Thomas-Built, Lenovo and others? As jobs and investment grows here so will the urge for the GA to ink a deal with Seimens for trainsets and hopefully future transit services.

14 Likes

Novo Nordisk has bought 100 acres of land to expand its Clayton factory again – their second land purchase in less than a year. That factory is one of two worldwide that makes Ozempic/Wegovy, which is kinda trendy lately.

The latest commuter rail proposal includes an east extension that ends pretty much at this factory’s gate.

12 Likes

It’s been in the news cycle lately but I keep thinking about how we really dogged a bullet by not winning Amazon’s HQ2 proposal.

10 Likes

This would be a tremendous deal for FCB….& Raleigh

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-19/first-citizens-weighing-takeover-of-silicon-valley-bank

13 Likes