CAM Block Redevelopment

It beats the white fortress of doom that is the street level experience of Duke Energy tower.

8 Likes

That reminds me of the view (sorry no pictures) of the drive out of our current/new Union Stationā€¦grey, bland, blankā€¦gosh give a kid some paint! Lol :joy:

2 Likes

Yeahhhhhā€¦

6 Likes

Welcome to bland and mediocre raleigh :rofl: #KeepRaleighBoring

3 Likes

Eh, thereā€™s nothing wrong with raw concrete. We barely have any of it in Raleigh, and itā€™s actually an interesting material to use on occasion, e.g. for site wallsā€¦ The #keepraleighboring alternative would be to paint it because we canā€™t bear to see a bit of grunge or leave the raw imperfections exposed. Thatā€™s what theyā€™d do in Cary or Charlotte, probably.

Having some art or a mural in a couple of places would be a different story; that wouldnā€™t hurt.

3 Likes

Iā€™m guessing nothing will get done with that little stretch until the West St extension is finished even then I like it and I like the concrete wall inside the station. It enhances the industrial feel I believe and there could always be temporary art or something put up from time to time.

5 Likes

I hope the parking lot inside the wye at union station eventually gets redeveloped. Also it still really irks me how much walking you have to do to get to the platform.

4 Likes

@elevatoroperator and @JosABanks

Agree to disagreeā€¦:grin:

A little is nice, but from that pictureā€¦itā€™s the whole enchiladaā€¦lol

6 Likes

I think the whole layout is poor. Itā€™s a result of ā€œsaving a historic buildingā€ when it was striped down to just the main steal beams and even some of those were removed, even the floor was removed. So what was historic about some steal beams???

3 Likes

Keep Raleigh pouring (concrete) :rofl:

2 Likes

Architecture Student Starterpack

2 Likes

Historic or no, the renovated viaduct building is fantastic. The layout of the station is the problem. I think that bringing cars inside the wye was a mistake: to me it is crazy (and yet so typical at the same time) that we have a gorgeous station building, and a nice new high platformā€¦ and a parking lot between them. Same thing in Cary, although the building there is not nearly as nice as Raleighā€™s.

Redeveloping the parking lot might allow for better access to the platform.

3 Likes

I liked your comment because you said West St extension. :grin:

4 Likes

I think Kane is advocating the West St. extension as well, to reach to the block south for the proposed new 20 storey towerā€¦

2 Likes

Only makes sense to connect and batter activate two of his major downtown projects. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely could see expansion of the station concourse on top of the pick-up/drop-off lane in the future as the station gets more use and could hold more retail and passenger waiting capacity.

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard to imagine the station needing more waiting room capacity in the near future. Itā€™s quite the generous hall. If anything, it could be made more efficient with more places to sit.

2 Likes

Oh my looky there. Old buildings with modern buildings successfully built around them. And in a city that begs for development downtown (Baltimore).

11 Likes

What would it cost to move them here? :grin:

Wow those buildings are beautiful, I can see why they were kept and incorporated into the new building, though Iā€™d say that first one looks weird. The colors clash making it look awkward. At any rate, are we talking about buildings with this kind of architecture and unique beauty? Iā€™m guessing the answer is no, no we are not talking about beautiful architecture worth saving.

2 Likes