City of Raleigh Municipal Campus

Well they’ve made it quite obvious how tall they intend to go with the mock-up on the Raleigh Civic Campus Master Plan site

(Actual image on the site)

Can’t complain about the height if they crown it with a giant smoke machine

5 Likes

It’s probably important to note that the area hasn’t changed. 420,000 in a 16-story building vs the same area in the 20-story (per the master plan) probably just means a wider building, larger footprint.

2 Likes

Here. I fixed it. :wink:

13 Likes

True. Base footprint about 30k, top floors: about 25k after zoning required setbacks.

New Thicker Formula!

3 Likes

It is pretty crazy when you think how many tower proposals we have downtown that are all almost exactly 250ft lol. I know I know height isn’t the most important thing, it just would be nice to see a little variation instead of 250ft boxes on every lot.

4 Likes

Just look up the road at Richmond’s skyline. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yep that’s true. And I’m not saying it’s a completely bad thing, filling in all these lots is most important, even to the skyline aspect. I just wish we could get more variety as far the the actual buildings and how they look. But because of the 250ft soft cap, it basically just has to be a 20story or less glass box.

2 Likes

Exactly. I have a soft spot for Richmond since I lived there for several years. But there is little variation in the skyline. They have the built-in feature of the James River and the slope down to the riverfront that we can’t replicate here. We need some variation in building heights or we will just have a continuous flat(ish) landscape of boxes.

2 Likes

Richmond is basically just big boxes

Yeah the city should bump almost everything up to 25s/300ft, and periodically bump until they reach a point where they have a variety of different height proposals. If everyone is building to the limit exactly, I think there may be a problem with either the zoning, or the zoning variance process.

Kay Crowder laughs at this…

4 Likes

Just throwing this out there. Sepi Saidi, founder and CEO of SEPI Engineering & Construction mentioned on the December 2nd Raising Raleigh podcast that her team is actively working on the civic campus project.

So not dead.

13 Likes

The City Council work shop 4 pm meeting Tuesday January 14 th will discuss the 20 story civic campus
tower .

22 Likes

If the memo is correct the design firm is Danish. “Staff
recommended RATIO with the design firm of Henning Larsen for design
services.”

So the design is very much going to be IKEA/Scandinavian. Sharp lines, clean, some strange angle as part of the main design. Probably lots of white, beige, and muted colors.

I’m okay with that, it’s a civic building after all.

17 Likes

Almost anything is better than a BGB (big glass box).

3 Likes

Except a big brick box. Lol :brick:

2 Likes

would not not be B³ or 3B or NCSU style :grin:

I would love to see this being the first one to go over the previous height cap (250’ for 20 stories)

7 Likes

I’d like to see it look like the Taj Mahal as a big F you to Charles Francis. :european_castle:

6 Likes