City of Raleigh Municipal Campus

Why the hate for brick? It’s classic, will never go out of style, and it holds up very well. I cringe thinking about these new cost-efficient facades that try to do way too much with cheap materials, and how they will look in 20 years.

3 Likes

City Hall’s they have done:

5 Likes

Could be cool…

TIL there’s a town named “Middelfart”

4 Likes

I thought #BBB was Big Beautiful Baywindow? No no, that’s #BBBW. No no, that stands for something else. I’m so confused…

1 Like

I find it ironic that he lives in something of a Taj Mahal.

3 Likes

The Minneapolis example is what I imagine we’ll get something very close to.

2 Likes

I think red brick already went out of style. I cringe at all the red brick in Raleigh. It’s just a preference.

2 Likes

Though the red brick is very appropriate for the region, all that clay in the area.

2 Likes

I’ll be fine with the design as long as it doesn’t favor any other capital anywhere else in the world lol. We need something unique not original.

1 Like

I just think it’s overdone here because that availability made it easy and cheap, so it’s prevalent. Then people got used to it and fond of it, so it keeps getting used. It’s a vicious cycle lol. I’d like to see more glass and metal and modern materials for our future. Again, it’s just my personal preference, I don’t hate bricks or anything.

4 Likes

Implying that there are Øverstfart and Underfart?

2 Likes

I wonder if the top of this building will be flat or will it have a crown or still working out the details.

I would love to see a Sky Garden type roof but for meetings and special events.

A guava and lemon tree garden with a meeting area in the middle.

13 Likes

Water feature, or it doesn’t happen.

4 Likes

…and rain doesn’t count!!!

1 Like

Yup, the design team was announced in August. I was quite surprised with the decision. I’d been expecting a well-regarded large firm with a regional presence to get the bid (e.g. Clark Nexsen, Perkins and Will, or Gensler), but they went a step beyond that with a top-tier international firm that I thought was a little out of left field. Not sure an IKEA comparison does them justice lol. Excited to see a design concept soon, I hope!

5 Likes

I just hope they take advantage of the new height restriction removal, and let the design team play with the newfound freedom. AKA- not a 250 ft flat-top box. Let the floor-ceiling height breathe. Let the ground floor go extra tall to make space for a towering public atrium. Let there be a roof crown that sticks out and shows off a bit. I understand this will be a MUCH more modern design, but I always look to my favorite City Hall in Buffalo. Such a grand, timeless building that the city can be proud of forever.

17 Likes

The timeline basically the only new news in the presentation. Very exciting project, shame it is still 2 years away for construction to start.

But I hope there’s more public input other than a survey, I would like to voice my opinion on two things:

1. Maybe make the building not as rectangular and boxy however the design team achieves that, that’s up to them. Just would be nice not to have two 20 story rectangular towers in a sea of 20 story rectangular towers.

2. Maybe some ‘woah’ feature that involves nature like my suggestion of a functional green space on the roof.

Hopefully other citizens feel the same and we can have a unique structure we all can appreciate.

10 Likes

Dang, 2022, good god. Govmint! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Great points about the survey. It would be great if they could find a way to build some wow factor into ‘the people’s building’.

Even if this was a private building effort, it could take a few years to get a complex building like this out of the ground. The fact that it’s a public building, and subjected to all sorts of scrutiny by many, many, many eyes, it is no surprise that it’s not coming out of the ground next week.

6 Likes