City of Raleigh Municipal Campus

Hahaha…AT&T cough…NSA…

2 Likes

Thanks for the greeting, I’ve been a fan of the forum for awhile.

14 Likes

Street closure today for the crane install.

22 Likes

michael-scott-oh-my-god-its-happening.gif

5 Likes

the-its

8 Likes

Tomorrow. (Just didn’t want anyone to be disappointed not seeing anything today)

2 Likes

This may be an unpopular take but I believe that this portion of Hargett St. should get the treatment proposed for Lenoir St. (shared street w/ bollards).

12 Likes

Love this concept, would love to have it on Martin when the Nash apartments are built. Would be a really cool look for those and Whiskey Kitchen to open out on them (and maybe force something other than Capitol Smoke into that row of buildings).

Martin is a less extending East-West road too and is in my observation the less used brother of Hargett.

Or just do both! This would be great way to extend the park outwards into the city.

5 Likes

Both sides there on Nash as is suggested, and then the same at Moore - extending the City Market and Exploris. I think this is a fantastic idea.
This Martin/Hargett loop is one of the key promenades downtown, connecting the east side to West. It is a natural strollway that the city should look to encourage.
Of course the biggest dead space in whole deal is the lonely N&O buildings.

2 Likes

This is what people are mad about re: RHA?

2 Likes

BUT IT’S DIFFERENT!!!

(Using my @Jake font)

4 Likes

Well, that pic is the Lenoir street view…not South street ---- but, approximately 2,182 Raleigh folks are ‘hoppin’ mad’ about closing South Street due to tragedy of character / mobility…
To be fair - it would be great for Raleigh to actually have a Comprehensive capital P-lan for pedestrian / bike access around the DTR grid, but alas…Raleigh : we Ad Hoc like a MoFo…

2 Likes

Sobbing profusely over the loss of this gem

9 Likes

What part about the city that performs 13 studies on every single thing until nothing gets done makes you think that things around here are ad hoc

1 Like

Ad hoc is a word that originally comes from Latin and means “for this” or “for this situation.” In current American English it is used to describe something that has been formed or used for a special and immediate purpose, without previous planning

Studies ad nauseum may be the precedent, but not sure a ‘plan’ meets the definition here.
More a reaction.

BTW, I am for a better Red Hat amphitheater - you can see that in my prior posts.
Also, I think closing South St tfor his is fine (better with the Jimmy jack leg around Dawson if NCDOT plays ball ) BUT, there’s no real plan that’s comprehensive - and that’s really one of the problems that could be improved in Raleigh, as I stated above.

1 Like

I actually like that bridge.

1 Like

July 30, 2024

Installation of the tower crane starts tomorrow, July 31.

Crews are busy getting ready for the tower crane assembly. The image we see here is the base of the crane. The rest will arrive starting tomorrow. During the installation, we are closing Hargett Street to all traffic. The street will be closed beginning July 31, 2024, and will reopen to traffic on August 4.

What is a tower crane?

A tower crane is a piece of lifting equipment that can pivot around tower-like structures, hence the name. The crane has a jib and a counter jib supported by the tower mast, which gives strength to the cabling, trolley, and hook that lifts the load.

City Hall construction site with the base of the tower crane

How is a tower crane assembled?

It all starts with the tower crane’s foundation, which is important because it ensures the crane stays in place. The foundation includes deep foundation piles and a concrete block.

Once the foundation is completed the first part of the tower is built. To do that, crews take tower sections called masts and bring them together to create the base. This part is completed with a crane; the first mast is what you see in the picture to the right. After the initial part of the crane is done, they will install the climbing unit. The climbing unit will allow the crane to build up later in the process.

The slewing assembly is the next phase. This section is the horizontal section of the crane and can be assembled separately and then lifted onto the base with a crane.

Lastly, the crane can be made taller by using the climbing unit and a hydraulic jack.

And, that is how a tower crane is built.

17 Likes

Was this really necessary?
:rofl:

7 Likes

Somebody at the city is CharGPTing these newsletters lol

7 Likes

Having had to write many of these kinds of things in my career across different industries - it’s not like it’s a tower crane engineer writing them, so even without ChatGPT you just grab a blurb from another site, lightly reorder it and change some sentence structure, and vaya con Dios.

1 Like