City of Raleigh Municipal Campus

I’ll PM you with more info if you’re interested. One of my colleagues was involved in a research lab on CLT high-rises.

Yes, PM what you have. Thanks.

Dropped my thoughts on the blog about the civic campus if you want more additional reading on the subject.

https://dtraleigh.com/2018/10/browsing-through-the-latest-civic-campus-master-plan/

4 Likes

While some others have lamented the design language used for representing the buildings in the masterplan, I like it. The building imagery reminds me of the iconic OneBush Plaza tower in San Francisco. That 20 floor international style tower floats over its plaza in a very elegant way that’s referential to the ideas presented for the municipal campus being an extension of Nash Square.
https://www.emporis.com/buildings/118712/one-bush-plaza-san-francisco-ca-usa

1 Like

I enjoyed Leo’s article on the City Campus Plan.

I think it’s been mentioned before, but it’s stunning that there’s a 20 story limit that close to the core of downtown. Geez!

1 Like

It’s not a hard limit. Variances can be approved anywhere with additional review and approval.

I’ve always liked international style stuff…from the second story up. As was the case in that era, ground floor stuff was shunned or ignored too often. Give me 2018’s interest in ground floor interaction with people and the sidewalk with that stack design, and I’d be happy enough. I also think massive scale art deco like the Chrysler Building or with a gothic touch like Hearst in Charlotte, would be pretty awesome…get us to a Gothem feel around here…but imagine the cost would be an insurmountable hurdle.

2 Likes

RFQ posted on the front page of the City’s website today:

https://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanDev/Articles/UrbanDesign/CivicCampus.html

1 Like

Thanks Jack for this info. Love this project !

1 Like

So SOM isn’t doing the design anymore?

SOM’s contract was only for creating a master plan. The contract for building design is a separate process. I’m sure SOM will submit a bid.

3 Likes

Oh ok thanks for clarifying that. And I sure hope they do. A lot of 20 story buildings going up. I’m confident SOM’s design would stand out as a highlight for downtown.

2 Likes

Looks like the RFQ period ends next week. Anyone have any intel on when we might hear/see something on Phase I?

2 Likes

The City of Raleigh is hosting three identical information sessions to introduce the first phase of the Civic Campus Master Plan. The first phase will be a 20-story tower located on the southeast corner of 110 S. McDowell Street, the corner of Hargett and McDowell Streets.

The public is invited to attend one of these meetings to learn more about the future of Raleigh’s facilities that will consolidate Raleigh government services and administration. City staff will present a summary of these plans and answer questions about the project.

The three information sessions will be:
Wednesday, January 16 from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at Raleigh Convention Center, 500 S. Salisbury St., Room 201;
Wednesday, January 16 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Raleigh Convention Center, 500 S. Salisbury St., Room 201; and
Thursday, January 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Raleigh Convention Center, 500 S. Salisbury St., Room 305A

4 Likes

20 office floors so this will be bigger than the FNB tower, anyone thinking? The 22 story FNB is actually only 21 real floors and most of these floors being the shorter residential floors. CoR tower will likely be one huge ‘pedestal’ public floor and 19 office floors.

6 Likes

I we thinking there will be renderings and a timetable?

2 Likes

I am hopeful for something interesting. Just please not another flat topped glass boxy building.

1 Like

Did I just hear you ask for:

Lol…just kidding! I am so hoping for unique!

3 Likes

Actually I never think of Raleigh having a lot of flat topped glass boxy buildings.

4 Likes

Raleigh doesn’t have a “lot” of buildings, but the ones it does are pretty “boxy”…Lol