Coffee in Downtown

If anyone from Transfer Co. is listening…how about a coffee shop addition? Since Videri isn’t coming anymore, it would be awesome to have a good coffee spot there. To me, the coffee situation at Benchwarmers is an afterthought - or at least there should be two lines so if you don’t want a bagel you can still get a drink without waiting in a ridiculous line.

1 Like

One time, I stood in front of the counter to order coffee at Devolve. My elderly mother sat and waited in their comfy chairs. In any case, I stood there for more than five minutes and nobody acknowledged that was I even there, even though it was very obvious that I was waiting to order. The barista was busy, so I cut them a break. Well, after he was done with that order, and I was next, he still didn’t wait on me. A group of his hipster friends came in the door and he immediately waited on them. I was shocked. It was like I was invisible. Needless to say, we walked out the door. I was so embarrassed because I was bragging about the place to my mother, and we were completely ignored. It felt like we didn’t fit their brand or something. We ended up going to Starbucks.

3 Likes

haha… unfortunately, not surprising. Well… it appeared that didn’t have their main focus on that part of the store. But with greater focus there, could still be around and be awesome! The fact they put the first meter paid motorcycle parking spots in Raleigh was pretty cool. Driving by their on the weekends and seeing all the bikes lined up and people sitting outside was great. I did always think to myself… what Harley person is going to go in there and buy Devolve gear? But, if it was mainly a biker bar spot… and not a bike brand… then quite possibly.

What about Noir as a coffee bar? I always dream of someone like Crawford going in and making that a great restaurant… but could have potential for a coffee spot?

I certainly do 100% see the need for more coffee places in Raleigh. I will go to some of these places quite often and they are full with no where to sit.

1 Like

What a great idea! Noir would be excellent because they have such a large outdoor space out front. It’s a perfect spot for a nice daytime coffee hangout. Add premade sandwiches and some pastries, and voila, Noir becomes Journee!

2 Likes

Also I don’t want to ignore Brew. They do a nice job and have a nice space, but something about crossing Peace St makes it feel ‘out there’ to me. Also Yellow Dog can serve as a sit and sip spot despite it being primarily a bakery. They could use a lot more seating though I realize there is nowhere to put them. I think N Person is begging for a coffee shop, possibly in the Marsh Woodwinds space. Extra hangout space upstairs. Leave it gritty and only nominally fixed up and I think it’d do excellent.

That Marsh Woodwinds space is sad. It doesn’t look like there is being any effort put in to making it attractive to potential tenants. I’d be surprised if anything interesting moves in there, but I hope someone proves me wrong.

It was such that when I was explaining to a friend why they don’t see me in there anymore I said the lines are endless and slow moving because of…and they laughed and said “oh so-and-so? Yeah I don’t know what’s up with that”. Some people can’t be rushed for any reason. I only ever went in at lunch.
Joule too, had excellent coffee but the whole table service yet still a coffee shop…? They didn’t understand what general coffee shop expectations were. They added a to-go counter to try and fix some of that, but if you wanted to sit down you had to accept table service. For the brief time Benelux, Joule, De Los Muertos and Helios all coexisted downtown (in 2014) I thought we had something of a robust coffee scene. Hillsborough St also had 6-7 places for a brief moment in time (Liquid State, Jubala, Global Village, Reverie, Man-Mur, Cup a Joe and the place in Royal across from Meredith). For all the good things about Kane’s new stuff I hope it doesn’t permanently drive up the rents around there (Glenwood area) so that a small, local coffee shop never stands a chance again. The small space approach is the only hope as @Francisco says.
Edit, Leo can you move this one over too? I must have been composing it when you moved the rest over…Thanks. And thanks for the topic. Been wanting to to talk about this stuff for a while and was curious what the group thought.

2 Likes

I was just thinking that Slingshot might be a good replacement for Videri there. Maybe they could partner with other vendors (like Benchwarmers) to up their coffee game.

1 Like

Benelux in the Y, Crema, and Bittersweet are some other options downtown.

1 Like

Benchwarmers IS a partnership between Boulted Bread and Jubala Coffee. Doubt they would add a direct coffee competitor within the same food hall.

Yeah that’s what I feared. I wanted to inquire about opening an authentic taco place at Transfer but Dank Burrito might object even though their focus is much different than my concept.

Cup of Jane? Anyone? Please tell me you know its there…you don’t have to admit to going…

I remember seeing it when I used to work in North Raleigh and drove by it every day. Never tried it, though.

Not a coffee house, but Sosta has some excellent coffee

2 Likes

New coffee place opened up in the Poyner YMCA called Brew Coffee Bar. Seemed busy when I walked by during lunch.

Brew makes some really good coffee. They’re original location is in Seaboard and they have another location in downtown Cary.

3 Likes

They took over the spot from Benelux, which flopped pretty badly. It seems like an awkward fit to have a coffee shop in the front of the Y (as opposed to a juice bar or something, I suppose) but I’m hoping Brew sticks it out.

1 Like

Videri’s shop is going to start carrying Black & White out of Wake Forest. I’m assuming they’re going to drop Stumptown. I’m not sure if B&W is taking over operations or they’re just carrying the beans.

2 Likes

They have a location in downtown Cary too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like “Iris Coffee Lab” is coming to the bottom of the Tucker. 725 Tucker Street

https://www.iriscoffee.co/

https://www.instagram.com/iriscoffeelab/?hl=en

3 Likes