Community Introductions

Hi, I’m Eric. I’ve spent 42 years being alive with the last 19 of them here in Raleigh. Born up north and moved around a bit before settling in Kitty Hawk as a pre-teen. Came here from the Outer Banks by way of Wilmington to attend design school at State. For some reason I keep sticking around, so it must be alright here.

Since I started dating the woman who is my now my wife, we have stayed at 105 different cities, towns and villages around the world. Yes, I’m keeping count. I actually have a Google map that I update every time we travel. So I’ve seen a few places outside of Raleigh.

My biggest beef regarding urban planning with the US in general is the heavy reliance on private ownership of cars. We cater too much to these machines that take up a lot of space and sit idle 90% of the time. As much as I am optimistic about the public transit options that are coming to Raleigh, I feel we’re playing catch-up a little too slowly. Even now, we’ll propose spending millions of dollars on redesigning a couple of intersections to accommodate more cars (I’m talking about you, Glenwood @ 440 & Crabtree), but we’ll drag our heels on bike lanes.

Anyway, I may get grumpy and sarcastic about topics on here but overall I’m happy and hopeful about the future of our city.

7 Likes
  • From Raleigh or not. If not, where?

Mostly. Moved to Raleigh when I was 7 years old from Seattle (lived off Creedmoor Rd in North Raleigh growing up, in Stonehenge neighborhood). I moved away for University in 2004, then eventually moved back in 2010ish after getting engaged to a girl that went to UNC. When I moved back I lived in Briar Creek for a bit but ended up moving out to Chapel Hill to live downtown there. My wife works at UNC so its easier for me to commute out, then her to commute in and it was also nice to mix it up, since I went to elementary school, middle school and high school in Raleigh. I work for a Red fedora distribution company in Raleigh so I regularly get to see the transformation all the time :slight_smile:

• What is DTR missing?

Might buck the trend a small bit. I really liked growing up here, I am really proud of Raleigh and how much it has reinvented itself without losing it roots. I really missed things about it when I left, we really take for granted things like how clean our streets are, how little crime there is, and how clean our air is. I really enjoy people pushing the city further and further to create better and more awesome things. I travel a lot for work and have been to something like 50 cities last year in the US, as well as 3 continents last year visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, Dublin, Toronto, etc… so I am not making this comment as a southerner who has only seen a few places in the south. I think the only major thing we are missing is some sort of landmark building that identifies us easily and allows the community and residents something easily identifiable as “Raleigh”. The major thing I miss from Seattle as a kid was the Space Needle. We have no CN Tower, we don’t even have something as big as a Knoxville Sunsphere. While probably a bad investment in ROI initially, these types of public works projects create a culture. What San Francisco postcard does not feature the Golden Gate Bridge and/or the Transamerica pyramid building?

To be fair I am also a huge proponent of public transit after traveling so much, and I don’t understand our reluctance to build out rail infrastructure. If the traffic keeps continuing at this rate, it really freaks me out that I will have to move from Chapel Hill because my job opportunities for what used to be 25-35 minute commutes are starting to reach over an hour and a half. Want to know why home prices are going up? Folks like myself moving closer to downtown so we don’t commute as far. I think affordable housing and public transit are tied at the hip and I really enjoy the conversations on this website about it. I am very sad the DOLRT failed and you probably saw my names on those threads. Reliable rail infrastructure allows job freedom for folks living in the triangle. If your spouse/significant other gets a great job opportunity in Durham and you live in Raleigh, that might not be possible very shortly. We should be more upset with the lack of progress here. We spend more on bridges on the outer banks than we do on any public transit in the triangle.

• What do you enjoy most about DTR?

I am really blown away by how great the Natural History Museum and the Marbles Kids museum are. It is absolutely amazing what great museums we have. I mean the Natural History Museum is FREE. Wow… I also really enjoy the new food halls, they kind of blew me away. I had first seen one on Denver on a family trip, and as soon as I came back from that trip I googled around and realized we have like 3-4 in the triangle with more on the way.

8 Likes

Hi I’m Jeff. I’ve lived in Wake county on and off since '93. Moved here with my parents and went to Sanderson High my first year then Garner after that. After high school, moved away, moved back, away, back, away and back again in 2007. I currently live in Fuquay-Varina.

I’ve been in the construction business for a few years and I am currently an estimator for a subcontractor. We do a lot office work, upfits and such. We’ve worked on at least half of the suites in Charter Sq. 1 for example. So while I don’t live in Raleigh, I’m still very much interested in the growth of the downtown area, as my financial well being is very much tied to Raleigh’s well being and growth. Plus I like tall buildings.

9 Likes

pBeez - That line is from the B-52s “Song for a Future Generation”. I think it went like this:

Hi, my name is Ricky and I’m a Pisces
I love computers and hot tamales

Hey, I’m Kate and I am a Taurus
I love tomatoes and black-capped chickadees

Happy birthday.

2 Likes

You are a correct SIR! Reading it, I am pretty sure you got much closer than I.
& thank you.

1 Like

Harrison here. 12 years old, love urban development and city building-type games. Play cities skylines and sim city buildit pretty frequently.

I love DTR for how much it’s grown lately. Love the new apartments and high rises.

I think DTR needs to fill in it’s skyline before going tall. We also need some sort of public transport such as a light rail.

Born and raised here since 2006.

20 Likes

Welcome to the DTR forum! :grin:

1 Like

The next generation steps up! Welcome Harrison!

7 Likes

It just occurred to me that I never introduced myself here, whoops.

Hey, y’all! I’m Kéita; some of you may know me for my long and source-heavy posts or my elaborate maps/concept sketches on this site. Aside for that, I’m a 23-year old student based in Chapel Hill, where I’ve been living since middle school. I’m usually there or at Duke/Durham, but I’m also occasionally in Raleigh for school, acquaintances, and food/events.

I’m culturally and ethnically Japanese, and I work as a graduate research assistant in UNC/NC State’s Joint Dept. of Biomedical Engineering (but I also moonlight in the entertainment/event-planning industry). I brought those up because I like to think that’s kinda my thing: to look beyond traditional fields, boundaries etc. and bring more of the world and its cool or unusual ideas back to the Triangle. It only seems natural, fair, and inevitable to me that the Triangle (and NC at large) becomes more and more like the gateway between the South and the rest of the world, so I want to ensure we have the most awesome opportunities available to the biggest amount of people.

What does that mean, generally? I’m a fan of smart planning to build a lasting, effective community by having the right backbones like rapid transit, affordable housing, and walkable developments. I’m a fan of regional integration so that improvements to specific businesses or industries don’t just stay there; instead, they’d ideally spread out by better transit/cultural integration with Durham, having more equitable policies on stadiums and other high-risk/high-return developments, and finding more ways to establish the Triangle as a place that matters in the American collective memory.

I love the architecture of the Warehouse District and all the amazing food options around Glenwood Av. and Fayetteville St., and I feel like the development that is happening so far have been exciting but in a smart and responsible way. I’m a huge fan of all that, but I generally feel like Raleigh could do a bit better in some more abstract, hard-to-grasp-but-super-f’ing-important ways.

Like how do you make the lives of the working-class citizens of East Raleigh just as upgraded as what the six-figure-salary-earners are seeing? How do you make downtown, NCSU’s campus, upcoming developments etc. work better for upcoming businesses that want to call Raleigh home? How do you pull that off without letting things sink underwater once flash floods get worse in a few decades? A lot of people think Durham residents are too emotionally impulsive while they think Wake County tends to have lots of backward-minded or antisocial individualists; how do you bridge that gap and get your neighbors to realize we’re trying to be a city that’s not only better to be than Fayetteville or Rockingham, but also Kuala Lumpur and Frankfurt?

That’s why I’m here: because I think we’re at a super important inflection point, and this site seemed like a good place to talk about it :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

It’s a honor for me my four brothers to be from Raleigh a especially being us citizens this makes proud and just where como from the people I really love an I represent I respect their culture arts oxaca pinotepa nacional Mexican

I want you guys my country as well

9 Likes

4 Likes

Just Download the information and their you be able to read these amazing articles

1 Like

FloresFamiliaresGalleryNotes16.pdf (3.6 MB)

2 Likes