Commuter Rail - Garner to West Durham

Personally I think not having service to RDU is a failure although I completely understand why it cannot be done at this time. People have differing opinions and all should be listened to and it is important to educate the public and help them understand why it is or is not happening.

1 Like

I do think that’s completely fair. I would love to see some kind of analysis done that tries to see how rail to RDU would look like. Personally, I think the cost isn’t worth it. That’s for me. Maybe others think it is and they are willing to pay for it. If a lot of people want it and are willing to pay for it, by all means.

Maybe the failure here is that that hasn’t been fleshed out fully.

1 Like

The way I understand it (and I could be misinformed) is that the Raleigh Durham commuter rail barely qualifies for federal funding with this current non RDU plan. If it was to include RDU then the scoring would be lowered and the commuter rail would no longer qualify for federal funding. If anybody can verify that this is indeed correct it would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

That would make sense because the cost of the project would skyrocket and the ridership added just to include the airport would probably not be significant to offset the additional cost and thus sink the project.

Though having done so many “studies” already, I would hate to spend time even considering this option and just get a move on moving this to design/engineering and discussions with stakeholders.

2 Likes

I would love to hear though how access to the airport is going to improve from Durham/Chapel Hill. Right now if you’re going to RDU from Durham/Chapel Hill, you have to take the 700/800 to RTP and transfer to the 100 - not exactly ideal and convenient as the 100 from Raleigh.

Is there anything in the transit plan roll-out that discusses connecting the commuter rail project with the airport via bus at the least?

1 Like

I find this line interesting:
“Johnston County would decide whether to create a designated transit funding source to help pay for extending the project from Garner in Wake County into Clayton.”
Does anyone know if anyone/group has discussed this “option” with Johnston County folks?

1 Like

Again, my inside track on Jones Street has had some conversations with some mayors in Johnston County. But, to have a County-wide referendum is a bigger critter.

1 Like

If commuter rail on the NCRR happens, then there will be some kind of shuttle service from Morrisville.

3 Likes

The good thing about buses is that they can be flexed in a matter of months. Both the Morrisville commuter rail station and the eventual RTC/hubRTP/commuter rail station will likely have quick bus connections to RDU.

2 Likes

Understood, I’m just saying that if it’s a common complaint that “the airport doesn’t get rail”, it’s pretty easy just to mention that GoTriangle will at the very least studying ways to connect the commuter rail system to the airport even if it’s not on the commuter rail route

2 Likes

If RDU has shuttle buses to a parking lot or rental car facilities and people don’t mind taking those, I’m confident GoTriangle can offer the same service. Fortunate to live in Raleigh and have the bus take me to RDU. It’s super convenient for us.

5 Likes

But, maybe the tax-averse Raleigh Republican Club knows that the RDU connection would kill the FTA application from the get go. If the proposal is dead in the water, then we don’t waste any more time diverting money for much-needed highway expansion plans.

2 Likes

People don’t seem to remember that when MARTA was built, it did not initially serve the Atlanta airport. Ohare was not served by train until the late 80’s. They are just now building a line to Dulles from DC. It is rare in this country for the airports to be connected to the trains at their initial inception.

9 Likes

It seems people remember very little, except maybe false perception of reality and a willingness to gripe about it

2 Likes

Same with Denver. :train:

1 Like

The 8.7 mile BART to SFO extension ran into $1.6B.

How many people ride that specific line?

These plans always start with the same major screwup, that they only follow the old train line that was important a century ago, but is no longer the main regional transit corridor.

So no attempt to connect to RDU still. (I know, we’ve beat horse to a pulp, but selling this plan without the most popular stop seems like a non-starter).
And most of Raleigh isn’t covered. As in all of north Raleigh.

I personally love the plan as presented as they’re working with what’s out there. But selling this to the public again? Gonna be a hard sell.

1 Like

The thing though is…this is exactly what was presented to the voters in the 2016 transit referendum. A direct commuter rail route from Garner to Durham with bus connections to RDU (and no rail access to North Raleigh). And the voters of Wake County voted for it at the ballot box.

Knowing this, I’d say that deviating from this and spending dollars on an expensive RDU spur/stop (that mind you, would basically take away from everything else we’re doing with expanding bus service/BRT), would be a violation of the trust that the voters placed in the people who are implementing the plan in 2016.

10 Likes

To me this checks all the boxes for the beginning of commuter rail for the region. Garner, downtown Raleigh, Cary, RTP, about a mile from RDU, downtown Durham. This connects 2 major universities and a lot of people who would use mass transit. Density will develop around stations on this line that can handle the density and should be more densely developed. Once this line is established there should be more enthusiasm about connecting to other areas. We will never afford to connect every person since most of our development has been scattered. However, this would be a great way to start changing that.

11 Likes