Dorothea Dix Park

J. Cole’s “Dreamville Fest” is shaping up to be a big event. I’m curious to see how parking and exiting the property are going to be handled. There was a traffic jam from last years sunflower field!
“Dreamville Festival will feature numerous on-site activations including a putt putt golf course; sand sculpture; photo booth; expansive beer garden; an area for attendees to browse products from a specially curated roster of local food, beer and merch vendors native to Raleigh and across North Carolina, and more.”
“Attendees at the festival will have the chance to witness the live creation of painted art activations at the Dreamville Festival Art Wall, which will feature art created by multiple muralists as well as several students from the North Carolina State University College of Design”

https://www.visitraleigh.com/event/dreamville-festival/58199/
General Admission starting at $119 is kinda high

6 Likes

90% sold out

3 Likes

So I’ve never heard of any of the acts, but I like the idea of having a big event like this at Dix. They really need to get their act together tho in terms of the old buildings, parking, etc.Like everything else the city does tho, it’s like let’s study the issue and talk about it for a decade and then do something boring lol. #mooresquare

4 Likes

Have you not looked at the master plan at all?

a little. ill be more interested when stuff i can see/use/enjoy gets built.

It’s a multi-phase approach and even phase 1 components aren’t planned to be completed for nearly 10 years. The end-state is pretty exciting with a land bridge over Western, an amphitheater connected by the land bridge to the north and a trestle to the south. If they fully execute the master plan, and everything else in Raleigh continues to grow over the next 25 years, it’s going to be a special place and hopefully well connected.

2 Likes

Yeah and I’ll be 61 instead of 36. I’m not saying I don’t like what they have planned, I’m just not that excited for something that far out.

6 Likes

I’ll be 75. The master plan is awesome, but it’s sort of hard to get excited about being 75. Not that there’s anything wrong with it. We should all hope to be 75 one day.

5 Likes

I’m really curious to see how the parking situation pans out. There is NO onsite parking and limited parking on Centennial for $20, but I can see plenty of people missing that little tidbit.

2 Likes

Park and Ride from penmarc field

I’ll be walking/bird scooter to the festival but there needs to be serious concerns with parking.
This video says there will only be 10k parking spaces for 35k people. Last report I heard the festival is completely sold out at 40,000 people, this seems like a major problem to me. The video also says WRAL reached out for additional information about parking, shuttle buses and security and none of the event organizers have responded back? Hopefully I’ll get some pictures.

1 Like

Yes, if you look at the event’s website, it says that people should park downtown and walk, bike, scooter, take a shuttle, etc. I have a feeling downtown is going to be a shit show of traffic. :grimacing:

40k is a lot of people to expect to follow instructions like this when it comes to not being able to park conveniently close to their destination. It assumes 1) that people are planning ahead and 2) that people are even reading the instructions to begin with!

I find it interesting that Lake Wheeler and Centennial and Lake Wheeler and Saunders are “no pedestrian” zones. I guess if you live in Fuller Heights, Caraleigh, or Carolina Pines, you’re not allowed to walk.

4 Likes

I think it would mean you can’t walk on Lake Wheeler but idk.

There’s plenty of street parking in Boylan Heights that I’m sure the residents there would welcome.

The even more confusing part, I herd the whole festival is located only on the field cornered by the farmers market? Which means the giant open land near the soccer fields and old landfill will be totally empty?
Also there’s tons of parking lots all over the property, maybe they were only given permits for portions of the park. Either way, they claim to have taken 3 years to plan this, hopefully I am wrong about the traffic.

:woman_shrugging: I was wondering about that myself. The map seems to confirm that it’s just the one field.

40k Tix sold? Holy cow. What is this Fyre Fest Raleigh edition?

1 Like

As a typical 2 car family/household, let me say that I personally don’t care that there are so few parking spaces available for such a large expected crowd…
While owning 2 vehicles is my choice, how I actually arrive to this event is also, MY choice and I should take ownership of the situation. I shouldn’t expect the city, county or the state to “make sure” that I have enough parting…
A new day to move forward with transportation of ALL kinds! :grinning::grin:
The Soap Box and wood for the cross is now back for the next person to utilize! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

I don’t know if it’s exactly 40k tix sold, but the event organizers requested an increase in capacity from 35k on Monday. The WRAL story says the event is sold out as of Thursday afternoon.

@RobertSanderlin If only everyone was as responsible a citizen as you!

I’m hoping all goes smoothly. Our neighborhood RPD officer has reached out and let Boylan residents know that Western is probably going to be a “parking lot” and they’re expecting traffic issues and parking in neighborhoods.

1 Like

when reading about organizers, shortage of parking and other physical facilities that was was my thought as well. Hope does not turn into a royal CF and give Dix Park a bad name for years to come.

Why don’t they just let people use all the available parking in Dix Park? Every event I’ve been to there has all this unused parking.