Dorothea Dix Park

Strange question, how do you know that “any-one” is a local? Not a smart-ass question. I truly want to know…

I live less than a mile from Dix…Off Lake Wheeler Road and It is not as Loud as some would think, But have been hearing some good things about the Event, Hope that they come next year, and maybe then we will have Better Transit Options for Folks to use.

1 Like

They are wearing fanny packs.

5 Likes

Talking to people, people coming up to me to ask for directions and things to do, and general tourist behaviors. Locals don’t look like they’re exploring a new city when they walk about. I should know I spend 3 months out of every year being a tourist.

I’ll be in Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Netherlands this summer! Maybe Morocco in December.

3 Likes

Impressive travels @Francisco!

1 Like

I’ve been to Finland, Estonia, and Poland. Maybe I can assist?

A local friend who attended the festival wore a fanny pack. I think those are required festival gear.

2 Likes

I live near Carolina Pines park and could hear Friday’s sound check and the music on Saturday. I thought it was great. Let me know that Dix was being activated in a big way and I didn’t have to be in the middle of it if I didn’t want to.

I’d rather hear any kind of music than the traffic noise we typically hear.

4 Likes

Reads as if those who went enjoyed them self’s?

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/article217624165.html

It’s fine, I’ve been to Finland and Poland and just know a ton of people from that area from meeting people while traveling.

Aerial View of Dreamville Festival at Dorothea Dix Park! Festival was a huge success and Raleigh should be very proud!

28 Likes

OMG this looks incredible. This was not my genre but holy, I missed out. I will not miss another event of this magnitude in Dix.

5 Likes

Interesting that both of those stages are on some of the higher elevations of the field and not in the lower area where sound wouldn’t carry as far. However with the rain Friday I’m sure it was beneficial that they didn’t put much infrastructure in the lower areas. Usually dual stage festivals orient the stages adjacent to each other facing the same large audience area for seamless transition between sets, so there must have been overlapping sets here…?

Anyways, this is sort of a dream come true. #dreamville

3 Likes

No overlapping, very seemless transitions between sets. Also I’m sure the organizers are very happy the way the park held that many people getting in and out! Think this will be the start of very large events at Dix!

3 Likes

I’ve read a few articles on Dreamville, and it sounds like things went really well! So cool that they were able to put together such a large festival in Dix and have it run smoothly. It seems like there were a few minor issues, mostly lots of mud b/c of the rain, and supposedly they underestimated demand for food so there were really long lines for the food trucks, but on the whole it seems like it was a really positive experience.

I read about people coming in from Atlanta, Balitmore, Philly, and even overseas. I hope this becomes and annual thing, and that it inspires other large events in Raleigh. In addition to adding to Raleigh’s brand and creating economic impact in the area, I believe they are also donating part of the proceeds to hurricane relief. Very glad they were able to put this on after the original date was postponed by the hurricane.

8 Likes

This festival can easily double its capacity.

1 Like

I hope the city/park conservancy is gathering hotel, restaurant, retail, parking, etc expenditure data that resulted from this festival so they can calculate an ROI for large events and hopefully seek out opportunities to host this sort of thing more often. Not to mention the branding/awareness that comes with an icon choosing Raleigh to host their massive festival.

7 Likes

I went on a quick trip to St Louis this weekend. (Working on running a half marathon in all 50 states, MO was #16 :slight_smile: ) The race started in Forest Park just west of the main part of St Louis. We ran b/w three and four miles in the park before heading towards downtown. The experience made the whole idea of the Dix Master Plan click in my head, but realize that it will be many years away. While sitting in the airport, I was reading about the history/life of Forest Park… Some of it was built to host the 1904 Worlds Fair, and a few Olympic events were held there back in the 1910s. It didn’t happen over night, and there were a lot of political hurdles to overcome. But the end result is pretty impressive.

My favorite part was a series of lakes/ponds connected by a stream/river the ran through the park. There were places where they had built large fountains into the side of hills with water cascading down and museum or some other building on top of the hill. There was one place (wished I had snapped a pic) where they had constructed an artificial waterfall/cascade down a steep hill. It was really cool. Maybe I am just a sucker for water features, but it was pretty cool. There were some other parts of the park where they are recreating a wooded area and a prairie area. they even had a zoo, and two golf courses within the park boundaries.

It was eyeopening of what could be at Dix Park, call me a convert, but I am 100% on board to make the Dix vision become a reality.

4 Likes

“Visit Raleigh says more than half the people at Dreamville were from out of state.”

That’s pretty impressive, I was unable to attend due to another event, but herd really good things.

9 Likes

Raleigh … Dream City!

7 Likes