Dorothea Dix Park

See page 51-54 for the “Phase Now” improvements.

The Lake Wheeler multi-use path is going to take longer than I would’ve expected due to “The existence of high power electrical lines, and the eventual reconfiguration of Lake Wheeler Rd.”

All nice and pretty. But, there is still an eviction that needs to be dealt with.

#4 should also really help improve connectivity between DTR and Farmers Market

Yes, this is upsetting. If it takes 10 years to get a greenway here that is an F. There are only 3 parcels that this path would cross and the vast majority of it is already city land. There’s a utility easement for the powerlines, but that is city land granted with use rights to the utility - how does a paved path disrupt their access and maintenance of giant power lines way up in the air? Can we get some compacted gravel at least in the mean time?

4 Likes

Damn shame the Farmer’s Market redesign. Doesn’t seem like a public effort. While I love to have a big park I would love to see an extremely high quality farmer’s market more. It doesn’t seem like that will happen.

The Farmer’s Market redesign really only negatively impacts the wholesalers I believe? Not typically part of the general public interactions.

I’m trying to be generally less cynical and pessimistic in life overall (a work in progress), but it does seem like a multi-use path could be reconfigured when/if Lake Wheeler Rd is also reconfigured. No?

1 Like

That is the main thing but would love to have seen the farmer’s market become the primary place to go to source ingredients including even rarer produce and farmer products. I find the current farmer’s market a bit lacking and outdated and the renovations don’t seem to address those issues.

1 Like

Do you know of a study/document regarding lake Wheeler being reconfigured? This is kind of news to me

It’s proposed in the Master Plan. Go to page 68 of 127 in the PDF file.

The idea is to route traffic exiting I-40 and traveling northbound on Lake Wheeler to Centennial Parkway. I believe the Lake Wheeler/Centennial Parkway intersection will be the focus of the reconfiguration. The hope is that Lake Wheeler from Centennial north will be a lower volume street and not used as a short-cut into downtown.

1 Like

There’s an ongoing study right now by the DOT of Lake Wheeler Rd, per someone who works for the Dix Park Conservancy. The decision on the path will get decided after that. Phase Now is just the first 1-2 years of Phase 1, which is ~10 years.

2 Likes

Looks like the wholesalers at the Farmers Market are growing increasingly nervous about their future.
It’s funny how with 300+ acres of open canvas to develop on and there’s even discussion about kicking the wholesalers out and developing away from DIX park. I think the State is seeing Dollar signs and wants to cash-in
http://savingthemarket.com/

Sorry I want to add to this since I’ve been listening to Podcast Raleigh. Apparently, one of the excuses for removing the wholesale portion of the farmer’s market is due to ‘anti-terrorism’ measures that are required including a fence that blocks wholesale area from the park.

It’s all pretty dumb if you ask me.

1 Like

What benefit does the wholesalers section provide to the general public? I understand how this is a centralized hub that is beneficial to the food service industry but is that hub something that should be subsidized by the public? And if so does it have to exist at the current Farmer’s Market or is is something that could exist at another location?
(These questions aren’t to @Drew specifically just in general. I don’t understand how integral the wholesalers section is or isn’t to the Farmer’s Market)

2 Likes

Public wholesale markets also ensures local farmers that there’s an alternative to big farming that’s actually a competitive career choice.

…or in other words, this lets the 3rd biggest field of jobs in North Carolina have at least one place they can point at and say “hey, here’s at least one place we can go and citizens can count on there being produce from their own state”. If public universities, hospitals, and the RTP are a thing, doesn’t it make sense for the ag world to have their Big Thing, too?

Read the full article here.

If anything, I don’t understand why a dedicated, state-supported wholesale market is worth getting rid of beyond short-term inconveniences.

More information here if you want to get academic about it.

6 Likes

What does the city have to do with this? Are there plans that have been submitted? I’ve read through their posts and they’re very light on facts.

I don’t know if this has been posted in the thread yet Online petition fuels opposition to plans for change at State Farmer’s Market

Personally I agree with the petition, this is displacing farmers that have been selling for 70-80 years. I’m all for redeveloping the area surrounding it or near it but replacing the entire thing I think is a little too far.

1 Like

I’m being told that there is a lot wrong in that petition. Anyone closer to this can shed some light here?

1 Like

Don’t know if this will help, here is the petition:
http://savingthemarket.com/sign-petition/
There is some info on the bottom

Other then Dix being right next door to the Farmers market, What do they have to do with each other.? Why is the dix park conservatory doing a master plan for the farmer’s market?