Dorothea Dix Park

4 Likes

Nobody is saying they are ‘bad people’. This site is focused on Downtown Raleigh and its growth. The Goodnights as well as the other Raleigh billionaires have shown a reluctance or compete disregard for helping Downtown Raleigh grow and investing in things that help that growth…(ie: buildings, sports stadiums, teams, the arts (downtown arts), etc)

4 Likes

That is definitely a myopic view. He provides philanthropic aid for NC State, NC Museum of Art, Carolina Ballet, etc. Anything that is good for the community does indeed also help downtown Raleigh in a variety of ways. Everybody does the things that are important to them and in the Goodnight’s case it is more of the education and arts.

5 Likes

The growth that SAS drives in this region also helps fuel Downtown Raleigh, even if you can’t neatly quantify it in terms of jobs Downtown or buildings Downtown, etc.

5 Likes

My brother-in-law lives in Cary and works for SAS. He’s an idiot.

4 Likes

We should rename this the “SAS/Goodnight Revenue” thread.

Yes, this thread seems to have taken a right turn down a rabbit hole. :rabbit2:

Also

:point_up:t3: :rofl:

Can someone think of a way to go from unintelligent in-laws back to park planning efforts in Dix?

7 Likes

Are anybody’s in-laws (intelligent or otherwise) involved in the park planning?

1 Like

My ex brother in-law went to Dix park once and said it should have a plan? He didn’t work at SAS though.

2 Likes

I broke some laws-in Dix Park 2 years ago on the big snow day. I am an idiot.

7 Likes

oh yes! Maybe we’ll have some snow and can get some Dix sledding pics up on here!

5 Likes

City is advertising for RFQ packages for a consultant to conduct an 18-month planning study for the “Dix Park Edge Area” https://raleighnc.gov/projects/dix-edge-area-study

Haven’t there already been studies, plans, presentations, guidelines, ideas for this area / gateway / corridor?? Raleigh: The City of Studies.

1 Like

Crowder worked that in to the last budget. Basically, it came from a desire to study the park’s impact on the surrounding neighborhoods from a gentrification, traffic, etc. point of view and what options the city has.

1 Like

good lord. We are going to ‘study’ the park to death.

Of course its going to help gentrify (ie: improve) everything around it but its mostly private property or owned by the State (which isn’t going to develop low income anything) so why does it matter? Surely the new council can find a better use for those funds and maybe we could actually start doing something on the park…maybe before the end of this new decade perhaps?

3 Likes

Maybe community.dtraleigh should form a consultant division. Seems like all their focus questions have already been discussed forwards and backwards here. I bet this group would come up with some good ideas. :man_shrugging: :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Yah I mean what do they expect to figure out with this study? Property values will increase, traffic will increase, the area will become more desirable…? And those things are going to happen anyway because this area of the city is growing without any improvements to Dix.

The park planners conducted traffic studies and made recommendations for realignment of roads to help handle increased traffic. Crowder and the rest of the “Save Dix Park” crowd didn’t want any private development in the park to help the city raise funds for building the park, but that private-public partnership along with increased prop values is exactly how the could creatively raise funds for subsidized housing and bike/ped infrastructure.

Look: the master plan already spells out the traffic improvements! Geez, we also have to study the multi-use path before hiring civil to engineer it even though the city paid a world renown landscape architect to conceptualize it. This one does seem superfluous…

6 Likes

After 18 months and 6-figure money this is what it’ll say:
Area A: already built-out. do nothing.
Area B: let people build.
Area C: let people build.
Area D: single-family houses ok.
Area E: let people build.

1 Like

Mike - where do we send your check?

Just dreaming and not the purpose of the study, but I’d like to see Lake Wheeler Road rebuilt similar to Centennial Parkway with center island, wide sidewalks, bike lanes all the way to Tryon Road.

4 Likes