Dorothea Dix Park

Agreed. I’d love to see that. And how 'bout throw up some Jersey barriers (or something quick & cheap) to protect the people like me who are already biking/walking/running across the damn Lake Wheeler Road bridge over I-40?

Who would let their kids ride their bikes over this bridge to get to the greenway/farmer’s market/Dix?

6 Likes

God that circular parking lot in the middle is so asking for a space-needle like viewing tower to replace it.

8 Likes

That eventhub was always a conundrum throughout the planning process. I don’t think anyone on the work groups fully grasp why they felt it necessary to include a circular parking lot in the center of the central loop in the park

3 Likes

The landscape architect actually recommends that the centennial parkway lake Wheeler interchange be completely reconfigured so that the exit off of 40 Directs cars on to centennial parkway, keeping lake Wheeler a low-speed multimodal corridor. they basically want to discourage people from using lake Wheeler as an access from 40 into downtown, which makes sense considering that will be the main entrance into the park with lots of bikers and pedestrians. Everything south of centennial and lake Wheeler intersection absolutely should go the route you’re suggesting. But alas, that is a state-maintained road

4 Likes

Try walking across there at 5:00am in the morning on your way to work…I did for a Year along Lake Wheeler road across that Bridge over 40

1 Like

Man that is rough. I have biked over that bridge many times and I’m still not sure if it’s safer to try to stay on the sidewalk or to just say f it and pretend you’re a car

I can’t imagine being awake at 5am, much less walking down a street on my way to work!

3 Likes

It would be nice if one of the trails at Dix Park was lined with hundreds of oak trees that are expected to grow more than 70 feet+. That would be an appropriate and iconic feature for a park owned by City of Oaks.

The Willow Oak that was cut down at Nash Square was 90 feet.

12 Likes

Is that Colgate university?

I don’t know I just searched oak tree trail on google images. :smiley:

2 Likes

I might wager the spanish moss is an indicator of a more southern location…?

1 Like

The file name (hover over the image) says it’s Savannah.

3 Likes

That makes sense. Southeastern US coast. There’s a similar road in St Augustine from what I recall. Probably several others around Hilton Head, Jekyll Island, etc.

Boone Hall near Charleston looks like that.

Who would let their kids ride their bikes anywhere in Raleigh?

1 Like

Honeslty if I had kids riding on street would be very limited. Beyond that we actually have some pretty decent riding options off the street. Lions Park has one of the best BMX race courses in the country, they hold annual national races, they also have bike and helmet rentals for anyone to walk up and try-out themselves. Umstead has pretty decent MTB courses and even have X-games size dirt jumps near the highway that are really fun to hit. Here are pictures of Lions Park then Umstead dirt jumps

The street still scares me with everyone texting and crap.

3 Likes

This is Colgate which is why I was wondering:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/ba/0e/1bba0ef8bb937876dff0e802791190d5.jpg

1 Like

We have some nice live oaks here in NC too!

3 Likes

No not Colgate unless Spanish Moss has migrated to the fair banks of Taylor Lake. How do you know Colgate btw?

2 Likes

My dad went there for undergrad.

1 Like