Dorothea Dix Park

Cool that’s where I went. You don’t see/hear too many references to “the gate” this far South :grin:

1 Like

How to handle Lake Wheeler Rd. is a bit of a conundrum in my mind. Curious to hear if others have thoughts on this corridor.

The road is asked to do several different things over a relatively short stretch. From Tryon to S. Saunders LWR is about 2.5 miles. Since the late 1960’s it’s been designated by NCDOT and the city as a major thoroughfare. It’s been scheduled for widening anywhere from 3 to 5 lanes over the years but that’s never happened. Of course it’s also an I-40 interchange, and now it’s slated for eventual realignment at the Centennial intersection so that it can transition to more of a neighborhood street with reduced traffic along Dix Park.

Some background:

In 1997 the city included LWR in its capital improvements program to be widened to 5 lanes, and have sidewalks on both sides and streetlights.

In late 2001 construction was authorized.

In May of 2002 the E.N. Lawrence house at 2121 LWR was designated by the city as a historic landmark. A politically significant figure owns/lives at this house.

In Feb. 2003 the city defunds $2+million from the LWR project. No construction occurs.

In 2005 LWR is included in a transportation bond to be widened to 3 lanes, curb & gutter, and sidewalk on one side of the road.

In 2007 the city defunds the project by almost $800k to build a multi-use path on Buck Jones Rd.

In 2010 the city is authorized to apply for funds from CAMPO for street improvements on LWR.

In 2013 federal flow through funds from CAMPO were used to complete some street improvements (left turn lanes at Carolina Pines and Sierra, pedestrian refuges at I-40 interchanges, sidewalk on west side of LWR).

In 2013-2014 the city did a Lake Wheeler Rd. corridor study that covered the 1.3 mile section between I-40 and Tryon Rd. Draft report from that study is available at the link.

The report presented 3 cross section alternatives. Each included sidewalks and bike lanes on both sides of the road from I-40 to Tryon. Ultimately nothing was done. I spoke to a city staffer earlier this year who explained the reason nothing was done was again the E.N. Lawrence house historic landmark designation.

After several tries it doesn’t look like LWR between I-40 & Tryon is going to get any more car lanes, medians, or bike lanes.

The latest development is that the city is considering installing a roundabout at LWR and Carolina Pines. I generally like roundabouts but is that the best solution here? I don’t know.

If Dix is to become a regional attraction and a park for everyone then I suspect a lot of people in the region will access it by car at the LWR I-40 interchange. Is it realistic to think that a “neighborhood street” can handle that level of vehicular demand? Will NCDOT signoff on a realignment design that accomplishes the “neighborhood street” design and routes more cars up Centennial and over to the Pullen Rd extension? Will regional visitors use BRT to get to the park? I don’t know, but it seems like a lot to expect LWR to be a successful 2-lane thoroughfare, interstate interchange, and a neighborhood street.

If you’ve read this far bless your heart.

8 Likes

Great read, thank you for the analysis Brian. Now can you tell me, what in the world is going on at 2116 Lake Wheeler?

2109 Lake Wheeler Rd

Ah yes, Frankenhouse. I don’t know much, but there was a very small, almost hand-made looking sign out front that said Pell St. Studios. Their website hasn’t been updated in 2.5 years.

I believe the portion of Frankenhouse pictured above was one of the houses moved from Maiden Street. Actually, I think it might’ve been the sigma chi house:

Hard to say for sure but the porches look the same.

2 Likes

I’ll admit I haven’t really kept up on what’s going on with specific streets. Is any of this actually being pursued? Are there plans to improve Blount and Person Streets for bikes and pedestrians? Or plans to expand transit or improve pedestrian and bicycle experience on Lenoir and South Streets between John Chavis and Dix Park?

This image and recommendations are from the Dix park master plan, and unfortunately there’s a chance the plan will never realize. But our new mayor and council are bullish on this plan and want to implement bonds to fund it and get it done. Fingers crossed!

They just added bike lanes to Person/Blount and eventually will convert both roads to 2 way traffic

3 Likes

Well… when one does not own a Car it is what you have to do to get to work at 7:00am in the morning when I had extra cash I uber Downtown

1 Like

Six Forks rd has been littered with ‘SAVE THE FARMERS MARKET’ signs in the North Hills area. Sorry, no pics.

Ha! There’s one in the median coming from New Bern Ave to the ER at WakeMed. This thing will not die.

Egads. I just saw some fellow planting ‘Save the Market’ signs out in Knightdale. Sheesh!!!

1 Like

Exact same form. Damn. That would be awesome since it was the best house on Maiden. I did see that it was disassembled and not just ripped apart.

Hot damn thats it! This google map image shows it partially constructed.

2 Likes

What you can’t see from this pic is that there’s an entire other house, maybe 2, attached to the back of this structure - hence Frankenhouse. Not much activity here in a while. Housewrap is on but some of it has pulled off. Maybe the owners are doing a pay-as-they-go renovation. Need more pay so they can do more go.

In other news, a reliable source indicates a new Lake Wheeler Road study is in the works. This area is going to be extremely well-studied. Think I’ll commission myself to do a study of all the studies.

3 Likes

Oohhh keep me posted on that study.

1 Like

Maybe we can have a meet up and collectively study the results of your study?

3 Likes

Sure - as long as everyone promises to be studious.

@evan.j.bost will do.

2 Likes

A bunch of studs, studying the study studiously.

6 Likes

Again, similar to devereaux Meadows, can we get a freaking sidewalk on lake Wheeler while we study the corridor for the next 3 years?!?

6 Likes

THIS :clap:t3: SHOULD :clap:t3: BE :clap:t3: A :clap:t3: PRIORITY :clap:t3: FOR :clap:t3: PEDESTRIAN :clap:t3: SAFTEY

6 Likes

Man those deleted scenes from The Sound of Music barely even seem like the same movie

1 Like