Dorothea Dix Park

I am aware of and I’ve been looking at that other little blue house forever when I drove by. It looks old, possibly old enough to be antebellum, but I never walked up in there to see. Maybe others know for sure. I’ll have to ask around.

New city council trying to kill off the landbridge for phase 1 (seven-to-ten year period) because not fair to minorities?

They want to spend that first funding phase instead to connect Chavis Park to Dix Park. So the best feature of this park is not happening this decade.

Connecting Chavis to Dix just makes me, a gentrification force, what to displace poorer citizens in Southeast Raleigh due to this sweet new greenway.

Can you explain what this means

Where are you getting this from ?
(Also the land bridge probably was never going to happen this decade).

1 Like

Park will be developed in improvement phases. Phase 0 is already happening (I think) and the next phase will be Phase 1. Phase one calls for some every broad improvements to the park including Rocky Branch creek improvements and landscaping + landbridge from Dix Park to Pullen Park.

Apperantly the landbridge is too bourgeois for the city council so they want whatever funding for it to go to connecting Dix to Chavis Park instead.

@JosABanks Today’s meeting stream.

A protected or separated connection from Dix to Chavis would probably provide much more utility to more citizens than a land bridge would. There are so many moving parts to consider with a land bridge traversing Western Blvd, I always considered it pie in the sky. Just some sort of connection over or under Western would be appreciated but non-vehicular connections from the Dix area into downtown/eastern DTR and SE DTR would be much more helpful in my opinion.

7 Likes

Eh maybe, it benefits me since I’m eventually buying a house (or condo) in East Downtown Raleigh.

1 Like

It’s really difficult to get around the area just south of downtown safely without a car. They’re supposed to be putting bike lanes on Western but if they’re not separated then they’re gonna be death traps.

6 Likes

Regardless of any intention, I’d guess that the connection to Chavis Park will only accelerate gentrification and displacement.

2 Likes

I don’t think so that area is going to change regardless of any connection between Dix and Chavis. It’s already underway and will accelerate on its own well before this ever gets off the ground.

Aren’t Chavis and Dix already connected via Little Rock Trail to Walnut Creek Trail? Google says it’s a 21 minute bike ride over mostly flat terrain.

2 Likes

High Line, Jr. down MLK/Western from park to park?

Was a connection between the two parks ever part of the plan? My gut reaction is sad as the land bridge would be cool and a one of those things in Raleigh you have to see, but I don’t want to be too quick to judge without knowing more about this other ask by city council. Is it just a more direct greenway between the two parks?

3 Likes

This is really disconcerting considering the complete clutser that the Rosengarten Greenway connection has become and it’s only 1500 ft from where it needs to connect to Dix.

Gathering Place in Tulsa has not one but two land bridges. We cannot allow ourselves to be shown up by Tulsa!

1 Like

There is a connection but it is definitely not direct.

2 Likes

I’m wondering what they have in mind for making it more direct?

1 Like

The only thing I can think of would be a large multi purpose trail / sidewalk along the south side of Western Blvd.

2 Likes

Unless the land bridge between Dix and Pullen would have been disrupted/postponed by future work on the NCRR.

Sounds like a mutual exclusivity fallacy. Build the landbridge with Dix park funding via the Dix Park conservancy. Pursue private donors… “The Jim Goodnight Tunnel”

Simultaneously, build the park connecting greenway with City of Raleigh parks funds. Or wait, take the money that would be used to build the Dix-Chavis connection and use it to repair the damaged/closed greenways across the city that constantly elicit complaints.

9 Likes

Crabtree Creek Greenway has been closed for WAY too long between Ironwood Trail and Glenwood. Fix the damn trail already!!

5 Likes