Dorothea Dix Park

Dix Edge Study has been ongoing for years…Sent to Growth and Natural Resources committee as there was no consensus to move forward :roll_eyes: Whoa baby, growth abutting DTR adjacent neighborhoods just hit the speedbumps…
BUNCH of things punted or sent to committee this meeting and the backlog of things in the admin queue do not make me optimistic that this group can move effectively through much. Gonna be SLOW going to be sure…

1 Like

I think the plan for the Edge study is that now that they’ve stimulated a lot of interest in it and gotten people excited, they’re going to try to keep it very, very close to being finished but without actually finishing it for as long as possible.

Here’s an article about the Dix Edge Study being sent to the Growth and Natural Resources committee.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article271590657.html

2 Likes

This happened a couple of days ago. I didn’t realize they had funding and were starting on the 3 historic houses.

19 Likes

Here’s a snap of part of the Dix Park pre-construction grading. I finally stopped today to get a photo.
IMG_7922

22 Likes

I think this is the new Healing Transitions building?

1 Like

Yes must be. I wasn’t sure what this was going to be. The Gipson Play Plaza is up the road toward Lake Wheeler. It seems to be in the beginning stages as well.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this here, but Governors Island NY (a place I was blessed to live long ago being a Coast Guard child) has done similar work restoring old officer’s quarters, etc, in old homes like these. I was finally able to go visit after the COVID lockdown in 2021 and they do very good and similar work there that’s ongoing like Dix.

Governors Island homepage

16 Likes

Not sure if this has been shared yet but there’s a construction camera for the Gibson Play Plaza currently being built out.

https://www.dixparkconservancy.org/gipson-play-plaza

10 Likes

That’s cool. Don’t see any giant wood cardinals tho… Meh.

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

This looks like a homeless shower and spa lol

2 Likes

The gratto for the homeless :joy:

1 Like

Affordable housing gets a lot of focus, but what about affordable spa days? Glad to finally see a spa that is inclusive of ALL Raleigh residents! About time.

6 Likes

lets hope it doesnt smell like the fountain at moore square

Dix Edge Study going to committee: Raleigh's Dix Edge Area Study Stalled - INDY Week

2 Likes

As mentioned above, the Council of Slow struck.

Sounds like Baldwin and Black are already getting along great

But, Baldwin rebutted, there’s value in having reelected council members at the meeting “for perspective,” she said. In a pointed comment about the new balance of power on the city council, Baldwin told Black that “you’ve said a lot of times you want to learn. Well, part of how you learn is through our joint experiences.”

10 Likes

Yeah, the interactions between council members might be the most interesting part of that article.

1 Like

That entire article is depressing. Who the F*** voted for these people??? City Council should not be the place where randoms “try out” government. They should’ve been more involved with city projects, even in a volunteer position, to learn how tf their own city’s gov’t actually works before running for damn office. They say they deferred because they want more time to review, yet Melton makes sure to note that they had 2 entire weeks to do that before this vote. Incompetence off the charts.

13 Likes

That’s the typical NIMBY response.

“We need more studies. We need more time to review.”

What they really mean is that they want to throw it into bureaucracy until everyone gets annoyed and forgets about it or gives up on it.

8 Likes

Will be interesting to see how/whether MAB and/or Melton push back on this delaying.

2 Likes