Downtown Churches

Do some research on “when” they chose to spend that amount of money.

Regardless….”what would Jesus do?” Build a $75 million giant building for what?…ego?…how did spending that amount of money help anyone?.except maybe.to hide the pedophiles?

Pretty sure Jesus would have chosen a different path….

Very few in the developed world have the selflessness to rightfully criticize how others spend their money/time.

This is a beautiful church and I’m glad it’s here

4 Likes

Y’all really saw folks post pictures of this unique building and scrolled up to revive a year old argument lol.

2 Likes

lol, as soon as I saw there were comments added to this thread, my immediate thought was “wonder how long before someone criticizes the church, religion, the congregation etc.”. Took only 3 comments. LOL

Have you done any research into what all this church does for the community and those in need? I’d probably start there before immediately firing off the accusations. Also, let’s be honest, it doesn’t matter what year this church was built, these criticisms were coming regardless…

6 Likes

It’s like the suburban big box store model of oversized “traditional” churches. There isn’t enough time that I’m willing to spend to list all of things that I dislike about it.

The outside is pretty lame, but the interior I found to be genuinely beautiful and modern. We attended a mass there when it opened just to see, and a wedding later on. The interior is rather minimalist, mostly white, with several focal points of color like the altar and the uniquely painted statues of the saints along the walls.

The acoustics are kind of embarrassingly bad though.

For those who see no draw to a church for religion’s sake, if you still want to get a bit of value from that untaxed building taking up the nice capital square block… Christ Church has an incredible music program and puts on concerts on occasion which are free and open to the public. It may not ease your sense of injustice but as long as things work this way, you can at least get something out of it. Unlike the Holy Name of Jesus cathedral, the acoustics at Christ Church are pretty good. Concerts & Choral Services – Christ Church

6 Likes

Great photo’s. Glad they built the Cathedral. While the outside is not awe inspiring, it is decent for a modern day new church.

Agree, the acoustics are not great.

1 Like

They definitely need to work on the landscaping because their campus looks dull. It would be nice if they had some rain gardens and flowers around the church grounds.

3 Likes

Yes, they could spruce up the grounds a bit. I am glad they built it in a traditional design with the dome, and the separate bell tower. As Grant stated, the inside is not showy or ostentatious, with lots of white. The Sanctuary is very nice. They outgrew Sacred Heart and needed a new Cathedral.

3 Likes

Agreed, and honestly most of the grand European churches were built over hundreds of years. Just getting the shape right and letting posterity gradually add the ornament is a time honored tradition. And sometimes the right funding never came through and they just left them blank:

*Although in this case, they definitely didn’t leave the interior white!

8 Likes