Downtown hotels

I’m no engineer, but underground parking in our heavy clay soils are very expensive to build. Like creeping up on twice as much per parking spot. From what I understand, a parking deck in North Carolina cost about $35,000 per parking spot to build above ground, and up to $60,000 per parking spot underground. Those are just numbers I have heard batted around so don’t challenge them :).

6 Likes

Wth is a home 2 & Tru … Weirdest hotel name

Hilton “Hip” properties. I’ve stayed in both. I’m not quite there yet.

2 Likes

It really is amazing the dearth of hotels in downtown Raleigh. I expect 2020 will be the year of many of the hotel projects finally breaking ground. Surprised it has not happened sooner.

6 Likes

can someone refresh my memory re: all the downtown hotels currently planned or in development?

1 Like

That’s a rough one as there are some near breaking ground and some more rumors.

*Origin hotel almost complete
*Willard Hotel off Glenwood (AC Hotel)
*The entire block around Whiskey Kitchen May be 3 hotels including the Nash Hotel but the other 2 seems more rumor.
*The Enterprise Rent-A-Car block off McDowell should break ground in 2020 (Courtyard by Marriott)
*Possibility of the north end of the Fairweather block being a hotel (Cabarrus/West/Harrington)
*News&Observer block (Nexus) will contain a hotel
*Longview boutique hotel off Lane mid renovation
*One on the same block as McDonald’s off Wilmington (Element hotel?)
*301 Hillsborough will include a hotel in a later construction phase (thanks @GucciLittlePig and @JosABanks)
*Northeast corner of Peace and West (across from Kane phase 1). Thanks @Will for the reminder on that one. I swore I had included that one but nope!

I’m sure I’ve missed something. I’ll edit/add as necessary. By my count, if we get the above off the ground, that doubles our current downtown hotels (not counting Hillsborough St hotels).

11 Likes

There’s one going up by my house by PNC Arena. Oh wait that’s not downtown…

Does 301 Hillsborough or 400H have any hotel?

I thought 301 was going to have a hotel.

4 Likes

Nexus will have a hotel.

2 Likes

I mentioned the N&O block. I think technically Nexus is the commercial office building but I’ll add Nexus to the entry.

1 Like

My bad. I see it in your post.

1 Like

even if we only manage to get 2 or 3 of these going up in Q1/Q2 2020 downtown will be crane city! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Only one I see missing now is the rumored hotel at the northeast corner of peace and west. I know for a fact it’s more than just a rumor but there hasn’t been any announcement or renderings so idk if we should add it to the list…

3 Likes

All I can find… Doesn’t specifically mention a hotel.

3 Likes

The Flythe Cyclery when sold is mentions the .56-acre property is zoned to accommodate a 12-story building and is being marketed as a mixed-use opportunity selling for about $3 million, according to Carolantic Realty.

3 Likes

Looks like there’s an alternative request for the Tru/Home 2 hotel for an outdoor amenities space. Not sure if all these renderings were in the plan before but I didn’t see them in the last posting with renderings above. Doc Link.

Amenity Terrace plan:

More images for the terrace:

Inspirational board for the facade:

Abstract:

13 Likes

Like the mural screening around the parking deck. ::coughSmokyHollowwhereareyouonthiscough::

7 Likes

O/U on when they’ll actually break ground???

1 Like

I really like this image they provided as well, really gives a perspective how big this will feel.
I actually hope they keep these colors and provide a change in basic hotel colors
At 150 feet tall, this will be similar to the Archdale and Court House buildings.
https://screenshots.firefox.com/B2XDtyurzt8H4d3f/cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net

7 Likes