Downtown hotels

I like it. Ground floor activation, a generous sidewalk with outdoor seating. An outdoor terrace (looking toward the skyline). Good height. All replacing that one-story brick building.

6 Likes

Looking SO much better!

So long as they don’t pull a dum dum like residence inn orienting the terrace away from downtown, it will have some great views of the CBD

9 Likes

That mistake should win a Darwin development award for the last decade.

3 Likes

Still a little confused by the dual-brand hotel here - is one of these brands extended stay (suites)? And the other is fun, energetic, and young at heart (Tru)? Seems weird to me to try to blend two different experiences. Like, “Yeah we have dinner reservations at McCormick and Schmick’s-Rusty Pelican”

4 Likes

It’s a very complicated and well researched “strategy”.

…I guess. I don’t understand it either.

2 Likes

I think its a dual brand for 1) government rate limited people and 2) everyone else. Only kinda maybe /s.

1 Like

I wonder if there are tax breaks involved with branding as two separate hotels on the same site. Or regulations that higher room # hotels are subject to that they can flaunt by breaking it into “two” hotel brands. Who knows?

1 Like

I think it really has to do with marketing. They can have two hotels in the same footprint, and market two separate properties.

5 Likes

TBJ is reporting the Origin Hotel will be open in March and features 126 rooms. They also released the name of the restaurant going inside, “Good Day Good Night, a new “neighborhood restaurant” featuring a “thoughtfully sourced, plant forward menu” and a commitment to working with North Carolina farmers”.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/01/16/downtown-raleigh-hotel-with-restaurant-preps-to.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

13 Likes

Cool! But ‘plant-forward’? lol.
Now if the top of that parking deck was a green roof with herbs and salad greens, we’d be on to something…

7 Likes

A nice contrast to Snoopy’s and CharGrill’s artery clogging meat forward model… :cut_of_meat::hotdog::hamburger::broken_heart:

7 Likes

City Council this coming Tuesday Jan. 21st will discussed sites 2 & 3 on Fayetteville St. for a
500+ room hotel & a office tower .

23 Likes

Any more details? Are there developers intrested in delivering those projects? Leads on a tenant for an office tower?

2 Likes

What!!! 500+ room hotel is beyond any project in all of Raleigh currently.

2 Likes

Click on Council Agenda Jan. 21 & scroll to Convention Center Hotel . The study has already been done .

5 Likes

Woah the 2020’s are shaping up to be Downtown Raleigh’s decade.

500+ room hotel on just 1 acre of the 2 acre plot, even with underground parking will have to be one of the tallest and most prominent buildings in Raleigh. Most hotel towers on such a small plot are in the 25 to 35 story size.

3 Likes

Hotel occupancy has a smaller slab to slab height, but it should still be a significant building.

2 Likes

Wait, no more “studies”? How will we ever drag this project into perpetuity?!!

What are the study people going to do? Will they have to get a job?

5 Likes

Does somebody have a link for this?