Downtown hotels

I agree. Maybe it will look slightly unbalanced for a while, but if we get 40 story towers on the south end of downtown, and 40 story towers on the north end by Kane and in the Zimmer parcel, then we can start filling in between them. Maybe even get the 40 story limit removed. #vision

I just hope they actually maximize these two fayettville parcels. If the city is finally going to release both of these, we need something special on each of them. Imo, they are arguably the two of the three best parcels in downtown along with N&O site which IMO is going to get underutilized.

I also hope whatever goes in optimizes the pedestrian experience in addition to redefining the skyline.

8 Likes

Also keep in mind we could one day see some monsters on the Lincoln Theatre lot (WHICH I’M ONLY OK WITH SO LONG AS LINCOLN IS PRESERVED AS-IS) which would be only a block away.

3 Likes

Technically with a Planned Development zoning you can have whatever height/floor count you want/can get approved. I think the current challenge to better than 40 or 500’ range is fire protection as I understand it. I’d like to understand that limitation better.

1 Like

There’s a really terrific opportunity to create something special at the pedestrian experience level if these two parcels are developed together.

NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) define highrise buildings as buildings 75 feet or greater in height measured from the lowest level of fire department vehicle access to the floor of the highest occupiable story. As I understand it anything over 7 stories is treated pretty much the same no matter if it is 10 stories or 50 stories. So I am not sure if that limitation has anything to do with fire protection.

There are differences when the building gets over 400 feet.

For good reason. We don’t want to catch the sky on fire.

2 Likes

Checks on the forum and sees 40 new posts. Hmm, what, is that dumb 9 story Nash finally starting or something?
Oh, a 500 room hotel may be in the works? Well then, finally something cool in the hotel category.

9 Likes

When this is discussed at the city council I want my two minutes to call the Marriott the worst budget airport hotel I have ever seen.

5 Likes

I hate this opinion of a “balanced skyline”, we have an opportunity to build to 40 stories with no height limit on our “Main Street” and now folks are worrying about some cartoonish looking metropolis happening where the tallest building is in the center. Look at Boston’s skyline, it’s an awesome skyline with random skyscrapers spread out and I love visiting. Tokyo is another example. If it makes sense to build it high build it high, don’t think of stupid unbalanced skylines that have nothing to do with demand, projections, etc.

15 Likes

The world is not SimCity. Damn the number.
Open those parcels up to development and let’s see what we get.
Better than parking lots - which don’t show up in your perfectly theorized skylines…
Pulling height south (and north) of the core is the natural order of things to get a point where the market realities might see some of these leftover ’ sweet spots’ go as high as some on this site squeeee about.

6 Likes

Not seen sim city for many many years I had first version, do not recall every going to 2. Would kick it off in morning and go to work for day. When got back would check to see what kind of disaster my city have turned into - LOL

4 Likes

Two entrances…

One upstairs, one downstairs?

Won’t be sure until further renderings come out. But, yes it appears that there are two hotels sandwiched together. In this case, west will be one brand with windows facing towards Downtown. The other will be facing East Raleigh. And, there may be a vertical separation slicing down through the project to prevent cross-traffic between Home2 Suites and Tru guests. The back of house operations are probably shared, though.

That being said, I’m suddenly being reminded of the class separations between the First Class and Second Class accommodations on the Titanic. And, we all remember how well that worked out. Right?

But, all kidding aside. It lets Hilton offer two different accommodation models on one property. They’ve done it before with their hotel within a hotel concept - remembering the Waldorf-Astoria and Towers.

4 Likes

A nice rundown of the Hotel scene.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/01/17/tbj-plus-new-raleigh-hotels-raise-signs-yelp-snubs.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

The author considers The Origin and The Willard to be ‘underway’, and lists these as ‘planned’:

Courtyard Marriott (179 rooms);
Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites (259 rooms);
Home2 + Tru (190 rooms);
Nash Square Hotel (190 rooms);
Raleigh Crossing Phase II (165 rooms);
Seaboard Station Phase I (150 rooms); and
The Nexus (264 rooms).

8 Likes

If you add up all those rooms, plus Origin (126) and Willard (147), that’s 1,670 rooms that could be added to downtown within the next 3 years.

That way more than doubles the room count from the current inventory of 1,300 rooms.
Boom times, indeed!

12 Likes

Still waiting with baited breath for the Willard permits to be issued…

4 Likes

I noticed Clancey & Theys at the future site of Homewood Suites/Hilton Garden Inn Monday morning. It looked like they had fencing on a trailer and were possibly getting ready to plan for demolition. Maybe we’ll see some movement here soon.

7 Likes

Still upset about the design change to that hotel.

Old:

New:

BUT, I’ll take what I can get and almost anything is better than the current abandoned building and parking lot.

13 Likes