Downtown & ITB Beers

Listening to a band in lawn chairs with my wife at gateway plaza and drinking their beer called the “Lions Park Cream Ale”. Is there a thread on downtown (and adjacent) beers yet?

14 Likes

no, but I am certainly interested in reading about them!!

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the new Standard Beer spot yet?

2 Likes

It’s a cool spot and good brews…!

Yes, twice! I’m excited for them to start serving food as well. They’re thinking they’ll start in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Hey, I was there too! That was me playing keys

5 Likes

The keyboard and bass really did a kick ass job!

Haha awesome, thanks!! I should have said hello!
I was attempting Tony Soprano.

The beer was fantastic there also

7 Likes

We went last night after dark! Two fires going in the back, so we cozied up to one of them and sampled a few half-pours. I think the Standard Pale Ale is my favorite. Surprisingly good cider too (as someone who isn’t super into ciders).

2 Likes

I’m up for an unofficial socially distanced outdoor meet up at Standard around the 18/19th. If things go as planned (they change nearly daily) we’ll be back in town and at an Airbnb around the corner off Person St. Maybe I’ll start a post in the meet up thread with a penciled in date/time and see if there are any takers…

6 Likes

Does anyone know about the new place on Wake Forest Rd near snoopys called Bowstring? They are doing some cool design work outside, but realized I had heard nothing about it.

5 Likes

Sign

they are calling it a brewyard which is the first time I have heard that. Looks like a nice outside space. Would be awesome if it was easier to walk there from the loading dock.

6 Likes

I was there a few weeks ago. The pizza was good. Beer is served in a flimsy plastic cup. For some reason, I don’t care for drinking beer from a plastic cup. I think it makes it feel cheap.

The area in general is nice. as @ADUsSomeday said, I also wish it was easier to walk in the area. There’s no sidewalk on East Whitaker east of Wake Forest Rd (which made sense for a while, but needs one now).

Black Fire Brewing and Altered State I haven’t tried yet which is also nearby.

I’m excited for the development in this area.

2 Likes

I believe that they are connected with Vic’s Pizza. I’ve seen some pics, and it looks like a great space, but I haven’t eaten there yet.

1 Like

The sidewalk is planned for Fall 2022!

10 Likes

Cool so we might actually see it built in 10-20 years!!! :rofl:

That’s great! I hope they do one on E Whitaker between Wake Forest and Atlantic as well.

2 Likes

I have to imagine the plastic cup is COVID-related, right?

1 Like

I don’t necessarily think so. Lynnwood, Lonerider, Neuse River, and Raleigh Beer Garden did glasses last time I was there. I went to Bigfoot Taproom last week and they used glasses.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know how it will look for a while because of all the demo / construction that will happen for east end Market.
As of now, there are survey marks along WF road.

2 Likes