Downtown & ITB Beers

I definitely concur with this statement. The Red Oak Hummin’ Bird is my all-time favorite.

6 Likes

Yeah hopefully we get that RIW pedestrian bridge and the development down Hodges gets going. Then we’d have a core of Lynnsood, Ponysaurus, East Bower, Funguys and perhaps temporarily, Big Boss all within easy walking distance. And if people are willing to walk an extra half mile or so then you can add Clouds, Nickelpoint, and Neuse River

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered if Red Oak has ever thought of opening up another location? Their brewery off I-40 is truly something else + they have a cult like following who love their beer (myself included).

I feel if they opened up another spot in Raleigh, Charlotte, or anywhere else in NC I’m sure it would kill it. If Kane or somebody were able to snag Red Oak and bring them to a development down here that would be a game changer.

7 Likes

A side project I’ve always thought of, cause I feel a brewery district is a long term wish, would be to try and map out our breweries and see what it would take to create an ebike/scooter route/loop to connect them all. (or most)

Protected bike lanes, greenways, and low traffic neighborhood streets could make for a pretty fun self-guided, tasty tour of downtown and ITB. :grinning:

12 Likes

Bringing Red Oak to the City of Oaks seems like a no-brainer! Would be great for their branding!

11 Likes

We’ve got a lot of breweries that feel like they should be breaking off into more well-known status one way or another (Trophy, Lynwood, Lonerider, R&D) but yeah there’s no one brewery that out-of-towners can immediately associate with Raleigh. I’m not sure if AB/InBev is still in the business of buying up smaller craft breweries like they did with Wicked Weed. Be careful what you wish for…

1 Like

I feel like Bhavana was on that trajectory before everything went down.

1 Like

If someone were to hypothetically be trying to map this out, what would you do for breweries with multiple locations (i.e. Trophy and Clouds)? Would you prefer the flagship location, the most convenient location (in terms of routing), or both?

1 Like

Clouds does not count (my vote)

6 Likes

Convenience as far as a group on ebikes or scooters go. Looking at a map of breweries though, they really are spread out. You can’t use light rail (CLT) or get lost walking (AVL) and hit a bunch here.

A product of our car-centric city I’m afraid. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Alright, are ya ready kids? Here’s a first draft for a theoretical bike tour of ITB breweries.

Basically, we’re starting at Raleigh Brewing, then doing the following:

Trophy on Morgan > Crank Arm > Brewery Bhavana > Burial Taproom > Standard > Mordecai > Funguys > Big Boss > Lynnwood > East Bower > Neuse River > Nickelpoint > Lonerider at Five Points > R&D Taproom > Little City > Clouds Taproom > Tobacco Road > Wye Hill

Then back to Raleigh Brewing via Rocky Branch and the new Gorman cycletrack. My rules for the routing were as follows:

1. Hit every single brewery inside the Beltline. When two options are present, the easiest route is acceptable.
  2. Greenways, bike lanes, or low-traffic roads only. Avoid sidewalks when you can, though this does happen twice briefly when following greenway options (N Raleigh Blvd and Ashe Ave).
  3. Avoid doubling back; it needs to be a loop (well, it’s a figure-eight, but you get the idea).

A couple noteworthy oddities…

1. To get to Funguys, you actually cut through the dealership across from Hodges. There’s a little road that winds through the parking lots if you look at it from street/satellite view. This keeps you off of Wake Forest Rd. You could exit at Atlantic instead, but there’s no bike lane on that stretch yet.
  2. Getting to R&D is also a little screwy, but I recently figured out that the gate separating Fairview from Little Guys Movers is pretty much always open. I took this path a couple weeks ago and it worked just fine.

If one of y’all tries this, let me know. I neither have the legs nor the alcohol tolerance to pull this off lol.

23 Likes

I consider Gizmo #1 for Raleigh. Trophy would be my top pick within downtown, although I do like Bhavana. Haven’t been to Barrel Culture or Funguys yet so I need to check them out clearly.

For me Gizmo ties with Durty Bull as my favorite two breweries in the region.

Cool! How many miles is it? Didn’t see that on the map. Also, I suppose you could break it up into two (or more) trips.

1 Like

Is Little City still brewing beer? I went there awhile ago and they didn’t have anything going.

2 Likes

Huh, that’d probably be useful info wouldn’t it? I’ll update everyone at some point.

2 Likes

Not sure I’ll be able to ride a bike after 19 beers

9 Likes

Two words: training wheels :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

It’s about twenty-one miles total.

1 Like

Amazing. I’m hoping some kind of future greenway along Capital can be built with off-shoot paths to that cluster of breweries. :beers:

Personally, I would drop Raleigh Brewing to tighten things up. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Also, riding a bike drunk does qualify as a DWI.