Downtown Raleigh Strollway

13 Likes

Hard to get a good pic I thought but…

22 Likes

World’s smallest park! Call the Guinness Book peeps.

6 Likes

It’s like the Charlie Brown of traffic circles.

8 Likes

They have these all over the residential areas in the street grid in Portland. Think this could be pretty cool in quite a few neighborhoods. No real impact on traffic, but just more greenery and potential space for art / etc.

Edit: Portland has permanent /real ones with curbs and plantings

5 Likes

You don’t get much cooler than this… @OakCityDylan
(not my photo, I would have at least said hello, haha)

11 Likes

I just noticed that on the City’s Twitter acct. Is that where you got it from?
BTW, they said stroll, I heard (pizza) roll.

4 Likes

Yea their twitter account with a couple other pictures from Sunday. Impressive skills with both hands occupied while navigating that 1 wheel. I seem to eat sh*t every time I ride one and need some way to catch myself.

3 Likes

Nearly 6 years of riding and I had my 1 fall a few months into ownership. Now if I can remember to wear a damn helmet before I got out to get documented on the City Twitter account. :rofl:

7 Likes
1 Like

The City is asking for more input on the proposed Chavis-Dix Strollway, as well as the South Park Heritage Walk. An announcement bulletin and links to both surveys can be viewed here, but I’ve also included the contents of the bulletin below:

The South Park Heritage Walk and Chavis-Dix Strollway are projects that will make important connections to historical sites from southeast to southwest downtown Raleigh. Share your feedback on community design, public spaces, connectivity, and wayfinding through Dec. 23.

The South Park Heritage Walk is a 2.6-mile cultural trail that connects historically significant sites within Raleigh’s Black community. Your input will help us prioritize design and implementation.

The Chavis-Dix Strollway, which is part of the Dix Park Master Plan, will be an urban trail in Raleigh that will connect the John Chavis Memorial Park and Dix Park. Your input will help determine the route of the strollway that connects these two parks.

Plan with us! Visit the survey hub to provide your input.

Worth noting that the Chavis-Dix survey includes a map with two alternatives:

It’s still not clear to me what exactly a “strollway” entails. Would they be closing these streets to cars entirely, or simply making a stronger effort to prioritize pedestrians (which, frankly, should be happening just about everywhere in downtown anyway)?

10 Likes

The vibe that I got from the survey is that they want this Strollway to be a combination of a pedestrian/bike-prioritized path and an attraction with lots of roadside placards about local history or businesses. Since the project page focuses so much on the social aspects of this project (local business revitalization, Black history etc.), that seems like the most logical way to pull that off.

I don’t think that’s the plan (as much as the website’s super unclear about this). Since the Cabarrus St. crossing will close down after the West St. extension opens up, Lenoir and South streets will be the only east-west street connections between DTR and Boylan Heights. As much as I’m all for reducing car dependency, I think a total shutdown of either of those streets would create an artificial bottleneck with more cons than pros.

5 Likes

I think I’m with you on this, but, if that’s the case, then why all the fuss? Seems like they’re throwing a lot of studying into very minor upgrades.

2 Likes

Because running a study would let the city hold formal processes (and dedicated staff/money) for public feedback, and write out design decisions in a study report. I think it’s a way for the city to show that the City is going out of its way to take the opinions and needs of nearby, historically-ignored communities seriously.

7 Likes

This is a good explanation, thank you!

1 Like