Downtown South development

That’s a good idea meeting

1 Like

I hope Kane talks about when construction going to start

9 Likes

There’s been some really good news lately pertaining to DTS. As of last week, Kane has officially taken over ownership of the property, so now it’s full steam ahead. NCDOT approved some construction variances along South Saunders and the city has approved some utility and roadway requests within the development.

Construction should begin around the 2nd quarter of this year with a huge amount of infrastructure being the first major component. Also, a couple of warehouses will be repurposed along Penmarc (long-term and short-term repurpose) in phase one. The first few buildings to rise will be along South Saunders street and two interior projects. They are: 20-30 story apartments, 15-20 story office, 7 story apartments, and 6-7 story mass timber office. A hotel could possibly be included in this first phase but that is TBD.

26 Likes

That’s a legit bus stop.

3 Likes

Yes that i am talking about

1 Like

Yes! And it’s similar to what they’re trying to build here!

4 Likes

15 20 20 30 6 7 7 stories are office going to be for the final piece of downtown south raleigh

1 Like

Nope it’s rezoned to 40 stories I think. Don’t know if the city approved it.

Soil sampling underway @ DTS site. Rode by yesterday and saw the driller.

15 Likes

Hopefully for compaction ratings, in preparation for digging footings soon!!!

3 Likes

DowntownSouth Zoom Meeting today 5:30 To 6:30! I am not sure if I can make it.?

5 Likes

Someone feel free to summarize any new news about the project that came out of this meeting.

5 Likes

The meeting gave information on Phase I . This phase will take app. 2022 to 2027. This will include Office Space 410,000 SF , Residential , 618 Units , Hotel, 280 Rooms , Retail, 81,000 SF . No Updates on the Stadium but still is their goal . Currently no funding for the stadium. Raleigh Leaders, Mitchell Silver, has been talking about a sports stadium since 2008 for this same location that DTSouth has picked. Affordable Housing will start @ 10% after 1,000 units are built.

28 Likes

Thanks for getting this info!

Any word on the specifics / heights of the buildings after the first two?

3 Likes

Bonner did not go into detail on heights except that he said that smaller projects need to come first before high rises.

8 Likes

Mass grading will occur this year. Additional buildings in phase 1 are still in design. It appears they’re planning an entertainment venue that would have a music focus.

16 Likes

Buh, Bye Red Hat and Walnut Creek…

1 Like

Not so fast- Red Hat is a ~5,000 cap. venue, Walnut Creek ~20,000. So the latter definitely cannot be replaced or competed with in Dtown South (unless they plan on using the entire space to build a new 20,000 capacity amphitheater…) and Red Hat has even more capacity than The Ritz (~2,000) so unless they build a HUGE indoor venue (maybe Raleigh’s own Fillmore location?) it may only really compete with Ritz. Just depends on the size and who they work with (if it will be a Live Nation venue, or an independent one, for example)

4 Likes

So they’re planning a music venue here AND potentially one is going in Dix Park too?

1 Like

I hope the market can justify both… (though the one at Dix Park won’t be built for several decades, I guess)

Also, as @mike pointed out in the new developments thread, the city is trying to rezone some city-owned properties near DTS for affordable housing. The TBJ’s article on this showed the below parcels:

In the numbers’ order:

1. This is the site Mike talked about where there’s 9.25 acres of non-floodplain land available for 340+ residential units
  2. 0.67 acres are available here for 30 or more housing units.
  3. 1.2 acres are available here for more than 10 units.

All of these sites are expected to become mixed-use buildings and rezoned to RX-4-UL, but could be eligible for density bonuses (read: could be taller) depending on where the Southern BRT land use study recommends creating transit overlay districts. The homes would be made affordable for low-income families “possibly through a low income housing tax credit project or a land lease to an affordable housing developer”.

11 Likes