Downtown South development

Cue a certain poster stating MLS is a Ponzi Scheme and poo pooing the whole idea. You know, tax dollars for a stadium.

1 Like

On Day one when the downtown South project was announced Malik made it Clear that the project would not be based on Raleigh getting a MLS team right away, let’s not get are shorts in a bunch lol

I mean, even if it’s not right away, you still submit the bid, right? Maybe I’m missing something.

2 Likes

Yes. You don’t submit a bid if you have no clue about the funding of your stadium at this point in time.

MLS has become prohibitively expensive for Raleigh especially now that Charlotte has a franchise. Raleigh will be the AAA equivalent soccer city. Like Charlotte is to hockey. Time to move on. MLB may have a fighting chance IF a DEEREEP pocketed group or individual feels the same. We may want the cool stuff but we need a Tepper.

4 Likes

No. You don’t.

Folks. Steve Malik is on the board of US Soccer as an at large member with the other at-large member, Don Garber. These guys are on the same board together and have been for several years. With that sort of connection, you think Malik might have a good idea of what Raleigh/he needs to do to land an MLS franchise?

2 Likes

Yeah, he knows he needs someone who can write the check. Raleigh does not have that.

3 Likes

What? He’s the one writing the check. He’s just asking the city for assistance with stadium…just like every other pro sports team owner…including David Tepper who supposedly is worth $10billon…

1 Like

He does not have enough money. MLS has moved on to stupid money now.

1 Like

Apparently not

Corporate support, code word for money man.

2 Likes

So what happened to this bid? Was it withdrawn? I honestly don’t know. https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/soccer/mls/article129805214.html

1 Like

Read the WRAL article from yesterday. Garber & Malik know each other very well. Malik explains what Garber meant in the WRAL article. A ‘formal bid’ must include a stadium plan basically…which Raleigh clearly doesn’t have yet. Malik submitted an ‘application’. Semantics.

3 Likes

I would like to kindly draw everyone’s attention to the fact that this is the “Bring MLB to Raleigh” thread, and not the “Bring soccer to Raleigh” thread. @dtraleigh, could we possibly move all of this content over to the Downtown South thread?

@Dave_M you may have missed the earlier discourse on this issue. MLS is not a Ponzi scheme, because in a Ponzi scheme early investors are showered with above-market-rate returns, which MLS has never done. Rather, MLS is essentially WeKick–like WeWork, but for minor league soccer.

I actually posted that analogy on this forum, and then a couple of days later Neil deMause posted the exact same analogy on his Field of Schemes website. And, look, people can disagree about stuff, but imagine how you would feel if you came up with a cool new analogy and then one of your favorite writers used the exact same analogy on his very influential website a few days later. So, yes, I can promise you, this is a thing now, and I will be incredibly proud of this forever, haters or no haters.

6 Likes

A wild card here is Kane. If MLS seems to be off the table, does he pursue Downtown South and look for a partner to bring a baseball franchise to a baseball stadium where the soccer stadium would be? [Billy Ray Cyrus Much To Think About dot jpeg]

3 Likes

MLS is not “off the table”. Malik has been stating for the last year that number “30” wasn’t necessarily his goal.

Raleigh agrees to a stadium…Raleigh gets a franchise…maybe it’s 31, 32, 33…but it gets a team.

6 Likes

EXACTLY! If we don’t agree on anything else you pretty much summed it up, it’s all about the Stadium for Raleigh.

Raleigh will not be getting an MLS team if Charlotte has one. That would make zero sense from the MLS perspective

1 Like

Can you explain why?

2 Likes

Why, Ohio has two MLS teams 100 miles apart.

3 Likes