Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

This sort of thing keeps coming up so much that I am starting to wonder if you guys are actually serious about it. Please say it ain’t so.

I think it’s a terrible idea by the way. Downtown Raleigh has no substantial natural waterways and manufacturing one for show would be a waste of resources.

The big grassy hill at Dix overlooking downtown is a wonderful, natural feature that we are now starting to embrace. We don’t need to make up a waterfront out of thin air. We don’t need to be that desperate. Devereaux Meadows, whatever they do by Walnut Creek at Downtown South, by Rocky Branch at Park City South, and by Crabtree Creek through midtown and by the mall, will be enough waterfront for a city like Raleigh that just wasn’t built around waterways.

23 Likes
1 Like

Yeah - I think it would look great. But agree from an implementation standpoint, I don’t think it’s feasible to pump all that water around artificially.

Well i guess there is a chance positive mind set

Pigeon House Branch greenway will be DTR’s natural water feature whenever that area gets cleaned up and parkified. I wouldn’t want to do anything artificial beyond cosmetically improving that creek.

7 Likes

Anything is feasible technically. Just look at Dubai. I just think it would be tacky as hell to create an artificial Fayetteville St river like we’re a Disney property or something.

6 Likes

Also, isn’t there a parking deck underneath part of it?

3 Likes

And electrical, plumbing, gas, etc.

2 Likes

If memory serves, there is a natural spring/river/water source running under Fayetteville st. Not that I am suggesting daylighting it…

Fayetteville Street seems like a perfect underutilized thoroughfare that could be turned into an aquarium/whitewater rafting adventure

2 Likes

Very true see need one so bad

1 Like

This is probably what you’re implying, but I just want to get this out there since I have the opportunity: Dubai is notoriously wasteful when it comes to land and resources. It’s a billionaire/influencer playground with minimal regard for sustainability. They’re making a lot of the same auto-oriented development mistakes that the US made in the mid-twentieth century. Not a particularly good role model.

Is Dubai impressive? Yes. Should urban planners be looking to Dubai for inspiration? No, absolutely not.

If anyone is curious about this, Adam Something did a couple helpful videos on it. I’m not familiar with much else that he’s done, but I learned a lot from these two.

8 Likes

Raleigh’s first “Social District” will probably be a pilot on Fayetteville Street.

Seems like it will fail since just allowing open container on Faye street isn’t going to attract people there.

Guessing we’re going to be the last big city with a social district. Raleigh dropping the ball again.

8 Likes

I think this is great news, and to me Fayetteville Street is a logical place for the pilot program.

It has a fair number of bars and restaurants as well as some public areas, but it doesn’t get overwhelmed like Glenwood South does. Fayetteville St is a place they are trying to get more foot traffic.

As Knight says, a big key will be the interaction of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.

15 Likes

I wonder if street adjacent bars like Bittersweet, Raleigh Times, etc will be able to participate. Would be a shame if not.

7 Likes

If Bittersweet gets to, then Oro should too. I want to see people walking down the street with to-go versions of their fancy drinks…

15 Likes

They mentioned that the pilot program may extend to Wilmington and Salisbury Street.

The city needs to get over its ‘family friendly’ BS–leave that for the bedroom communities like Cary. If you’re taking your kids out on a Friday at 1 AM you’re not family friendly parent anyways. I don’t get why that is even a concern.

17 Likes

I’d be for something like this… it reminds me in the winter there should be an ice bar where everything is cold and made out of ice.

1 Like

I think that works better in cities where it’s actually cold all winter! Lol

I went to an ice hotel/ice bar/outdoor drinking trail at ice stations in Quebec City once. It was really cool. After a few drinks, I stopped caring that I couldn’t feel my extremities.

3 Likes

I feel like I get the same experience at late-season NC State games!

2 Likes