Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

Yeah, there are a lot of us who feel this way. Even if we can’t widen the sidewalk because of the precious parking, we can at least narrow the crossings of Fayetteville at the intersections by bumping out the pedestrian ROW to the width of the adjacent parallel parking spaces. This will at least reduce the width of the street where one crosses it.

19 Likes

Here’s a pretty thorough story of how Miami is transforming one of its iconic streets downtown into a more pedestrian friendly one. There’s even an animated video of the finished product. This might be a good roadmap for what the future of Fayetteville could be.

11 Likes

I like whoever mentioned putting the bollards that could pop up and down on Fayetteville street as a good idea. You could easily close the street off when needed for events and keep the street open during business hours? Might be the best of both worlds? Maybe Glenwood South (especially on Fridays and Saturdays) might be a good option to try out too with these.

Not to scale at all, but FWIW Apex is doing something like that with the bollards Salem street as part of their downtown project. It’s mentioned in the YouTube video in the link.

Just my $0.02

21 Likes

That’s really cool. Salem Street has become a seriously pleasant place to spend time - Apex is probably the best of the suburban downtowns around the Triangle.

3 Likes

It’s that slogan they’re living up to… :grinning:

6 Likes

Wait, are those string lights across the street? Don’t they realize what a fire hazard - sorry hazard to firefolks - those are???
In all seriousness, I like how this looks very much. Lots of good details, like the curbless and permeable road. I have never in my life been to Apex - it was so far out in the country. But I guess I need to stop by sometime soon.

2 Likes

Apex = Cary - 100k people basically if that helps give some context.

3 Likes

This is fantastic, truly building a place that will attract businesses and visitors.

I recently was at a public hearing for the planning board of Apex representing a rezoning case, and in that meeting they recommended approval to adopt a vision zero plan, which aims to eliminate all traffic related deaths through the city’s engineering.

Although I wasn’t planning on it, I made a public comment when the time opened urging them to approach any changes to their road network holistically, separate roads and streets, and reduce speeds on streets while reducing complexity on roads

6 Likes

Yeah Salem street is under all sorts of construction. Oaklyn Springs from Fuquay is opening another taproom on the ground floor of a new mixed used building they just finished too. Think I read October is when it should be open.

Awesome to hear about the zero emissions initiative. They have signs all over town about it and I’m hoping they follow through with it too.

3 Likes

All the empty spaces at Alexander Square getting some love.

31 Likes

Seems like the retail spots are getting a facelift?

15 Likes

Clearly indicates tower plans have been scrapped for a good while. No tenant will sign a 3 year lease

1 Like

The pizza place is still there, so that’s nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj-j1WQLOVe/

11 Likes

Damn ugly for the Capital City of NC :skull_and_crossbones:

Considering how awful the area looked at the time, I am glad the city attempted to improve upon it… :+1:

The street trees and newer buildings definitely helped to beautify the street. I hope to see some of the parking spaces be replaced with parklets and outdoor seating sooner than later.

4 Likes

With the International Wine Festival and another event over near more square happening, and the beautiful weather, Fayetteville Street is more activated than I’ve seen in a long time during the day. Really encouraging!

22 Likes

I saw the gold polygonal decorative entrance is gone from the Fayetteville side of the lobby. Anyone know why?

1 Like

For the Wells Fargo Building? This is owned by Highwoods now?

So logic will not follow actions.

1 Like

I hear that they are going to demolish the building and put in a gravel parking lot.

4 Likes