Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

This is NOT new news. TBJ regurgitating news from 6 months ago…as usual.

This is the project diagonally across from Snoopys on OWF and near the Dock whatever it’s called where Hummingbirds & Wilson’s are.

3 Likes

I don’t know, they said they have submitted a master plan and plan to start phase I this year, “in the next few months.”

1 Like

Same project. They’ve been moving fairly steadily. John Kane’s son is one of the primary investors through his real estate investment company.

1 Like

Some images from the PD rezoning request…
Phase 1: warehouse renovations scheduled to start soon
Phase 2: two 7 story buildings
Phase 3: one 5 story building
Phase 4: up to 15 story tower.

13 Likes

Man o man, those townhouses end up in a canyon…but, they could still benefit from greater accessibility to the Phase 1 development here and another avenue of access to things down Whitaker in Dock 1083, etc…Certainly little in the way of ‘protections’ or screenings for those townhouses relative to the PD.

3 Likes

Ok - this is the other one, completely separate from the East End development, right? Is this the titular “Raleigh Ironworks” dev? I guess what I’m trying to figure out is: how many redevelopments are currently being planned along the Wake Forest / Whittaker Mill strip aka Iron District? 2 or 3? Either way, it’s truly going to become it’s own awesome little nook of our city in 5-10 years.

East End is the intersection of Whitaker Mill and Wake Forest, which people have been talking about recently. The Iron Works will be at the corner of Whitaker Mill and Atlantic, which is probably where the thread title derived it’s name from. They are pretty close to each other and if both get built, it will transform the area pretty smoothly.

This area is being called a variety of names. Midtown East, East Five Points, and now the End End developer is branding it the “East End”.

The rezoning request that @mike just posted appears to be on the corner of Whitaker and Wake Forest, but does not appear to resemble the images from the East End proposal. @mike - what development is that?

So I just scrolled up this thread a ways back, and the only two developments for the Iron District are the Iron Works and East End. However, the “renders” that have been shared for the East End (showing a reno’d 1 story warehouse and 2 5-7 story buildings) do not match the massing for the East End that @mike just shared… where are those images coming from??

Its the same ‘East End’ project. Since the tower isn’t until phase 4, the final design can change alot. The massing shows up to 15 floors, but the rendering for that building is 7 stories. You can see the Ironworks project in the background of the 1st massing image.

From the rezoning application… https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR22/Z-022-20.pdf

5 Likes

Thank you. The render vs massing images had me wildly confused :joy:

They are running out of names I guess.

We have:

• North Hills - which is also now called mid-town.
  • Mid-Town east, (Wegmans shopping center) is southeast of North Hills, but north of downtown.
  • East End is south of Mid Town East, but also north of Downtown. Maybe they consider it the end of midtown east???
  • Or is it East of 5-points, (which really has 6 points,) which is south of six-forks.

:crazy_face: :exploding_head::confused:

16 Likes

Site Review Plans for the Phase 1 Ironworks. Doesn’t appear to be much new info that hasn’t already been released. Maybe some new parking area at the entrance?

2 Likes

Did I miss these street-level renderings? Quickly scrolled up to check but didn’t see them.

Previously posted:

Previously posted, but very slight differences (roof equipment has magically been removed, and steel and signage is now painted red lol.)

EDIT: There are a couple of more images in the brochure, which I also hadn’t seen.

Looks like a really nice mix of uses.

28 Likes

Looks amazing. This would absolutely transform the entire area.

7 Likes

28 Likes

Also, looks like a new website for the East End Market development… https://www.eastendraleigh.com/

9 Likes

Wow, it’s hitting me now after seeing ironworks site plan and this website that there will eventually be a complete urban corridor from DTR to North Hills. Amazing to me the current BRT project for North corridor does not factor this growth in…

13 Likes

Judging from city records it looks like the city is factoring in that growth? Or at least, they want to, but they’re letting the corridor plans to be clear, first, before they start planning transit things.

City initiatives like the Midtown-St. Albans area study and the Capital Blvd. North corridor study mention how BRT could play nice with growth along those corridors. Both of these ideas have just been announced in the past couple of months, and aren’t yet adopted as official policies by City Council.

5 Likes

This second pic above has me geeking on that pedestrian bridge across Atlantic to D1053 :nerd_face:

5 Likes