Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

Having that app on your phone is your first problem :wink:

3 Likes

You were called a Karen for defending bike lanes? Do these people know what a “Karen” is?
(No actual Karens were hurt in the construction of this post)

8 Likes

My thoughts exactly…

I’m familiar with that thread on ND. I didn’t reply bothering.

Crossposting about the latest updates on the “walkable Midtown” plan (see this post).

TL/DR: There’s a big mix of NIMBY and denser housing/smarter land use-related concerns about the recommendations in the report. So much, in fact, City Council’s expected to keep this plan on ice when they bring it up next week.

It looks like the tall 3 story building with a new rooftop terrace goes on the market soon.
Let’s hope a signature restaurant buys it and utilizes the rooftop seating looking down on 5 points.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/10/16/iconic-1700-glenwood-building-in-five-points-hits.html

17 Likes

Do something with all that asphalt parking and you might have something.

3 Likes

With the number of rooftops in a 0.5 mile radius of this location, they really need zero parking. Convert all parking to garden/outdoor seating.

7 Likes

Check out this video of the Iron Works project:

23 Likes

Looks great, but nothing new in this video besides (possibly?) a teaser of what one of the future residential buildings that is currently a grey box on the render might look like? Not positive. Just my thought; I drove around and checked out the new University Hill development in Durham yesterday, which was built with large blank walls that have been painted over with murals from artists from NC to all over the world. I really think this development would be prime for some public art murals/installations like that. Can’t let Durham have all the fun!

2 Likes

Looks like Lonerider’s new location at The Point opens Sunday!

10 Likes

Can’t wait to check it out. Now if we weren’t in a frigging pandemic…

1 Like

There isn’t any info on their website and very little on Facebook. Does anyone have any idea what their menu is going to look like?

My friend went last night for their friends & family event and said it took them 2.5 hours to get their food… (they said the pizza/wings they got were good but it was horrible service)

Classic for new restaurants here in my little 'ville to nearly collapse under the crush of patrons the first few days. Good to start with a sympathetic crowd of friends and family as you work out the kinks. I hope they can get it together!

3 Likes

That’s pretty typical for most new restaurants, I think. Staff is all newly trained and there’s not much of a rhythm on opening week. I bet it’ll be a lot smoother in about five weeks or so.

3 Likes

As a rule, I would never go to restaurants during their grand opening period. Maybe I’d go to a cocktail party where servers were going around with trays of samples to nibble, but that’s it.

3 Likes

Should be easier next week since they will only be allowed to have 10 people inside at any given time…

It’s a 10 person limit on group gatherings, not a 10 person limit inside an entire restaurant. But yes, obviously the point of a soft opening for friends and family is to work out the kinks.

2 Likes

Interesting Project north of the proposed Iron Works redevelopment, which is the block where Big Boss currently is. Renovating 3 large one story industrial buildings, which will stay 1 story, and adding a large parking garage. They seem to be incorporating a fair amount of amenity/open space, and another interesting aspect in the arch drawings was pop-up shipping containers for retail/food? I assume that with this renovation, the industrial shops will go away and businesses similar to the Dock will open. It will also add desperately needed sidewalks which helps bridge the gap from the greenway to retail/food opportunities. It also makes it more enticing for the fairly large population of condos and apartments living near Atlantic/Six Forks to make the walk or cycle down to this area.

10 Likes