Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

…a NIMBY from several hundred miles away at that!

5 Likes

I live near there and there are several NIMBYs already up in arms over this. Taking away on -street parking on Hardimont for bike lanes, zoning height increases at North Hills, the traffic, tha ttraffic, the traffic.

These numbskulls fail to see the big picture. They nitpick one point they don’t like and oppose the whole plan, rather than taking the plan as a whole and seeing all the improvements. Better street grid, waterfront park, better access across I-440, greenway extensions and bike / pedestrian improvements, etc.

10 Likes

Not to mention increased property values

4 Likes

A lot of people don’t understand that cars is the least efficient way to move people across a city… Changing that dynamic requires density increase so that alternative transportation modes become viable (public transit, bikes, etc).
Another pre conceived idea is that adding lanes will make the traffic better. This is absolutely false as adding more lanes will have the side effect of bringing more cars and will result in a traffic worst as the initial situation (LA is a good example of what not to do).

11 Likes

What leaves me perplexed and frustrated is how so many people and government officials completely dismiss paid professionals that have studied in this area and have made it their life’s work. The city and state spends millions on engineering and planning studies only to be lazily and superficially dismissed by way of traffic comments from a small vocal minority of residents. What’s worse is that elected officials, a lot of times, give more weight to the vocal minority than the paid professionals.

18 Likes

With Midtown Exchange on deck in additional to all of Kane’s NH East development, and everything going on in Midtown (e.g., Wegman’s area) I’m guessing the Planning Commission and CC have their sights on the bigger picture, and building out/improving traffic and multi-modal in the area will be a key aspect.

1 Like

I live in NH as well and I don’t have a problem with a waterfront park and greenways to make that area around Wake Forest/I-440 more of a destination, but I do question the need for more retail and even office space (why not push for that to be downtown?). NH is full of empty storefronts at this point and I’m sure there are more to come - I can’t help but wonder how long it will take for some of the new stores in Midtown East to go out of business. It’s not quite as bad as plywood, but doesn’t look inviting to see so much empty space. On that note, does anyone know if BB’s Crispy Chicken is still planning on opening in that area?

Welcome to our anti-science, anti-fact, anti-expert world.

1 Like

Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18? Yeah, it’s pretty good. “The Road Not Taken”? Yeah, it’s okay. “O Captain! My Captain!” Eh, fine, if you’re into that sort of thing. But THIS, from “Walkable Midtown: The Midtown-St. Albans Area Plan” is poetry that really moves me to tears and sets my heart aflutter:

"Connected Streets and Travel Reliability

The goal for future Midtown transportation is not speed. It is reliability and safety. Midtown is not a place to pass through as fast as possible – it is a distinct place. Future traffic speeds will be slower than those of the past decades, but the plan’s vision is to improve travel time reliability and predictability by providing alternatives to the places where congestion is worst. A key strategy is creating, for the first time, a true street network in Midtown."

Seriously, though, the whole plan is fantastic, from the transit improvements to the missing middle housing, but the vision for a waterfront district is just truly inspired. This would be an absolutely amazing, transformative asset for Raleigh, and I hope this can get turned into a reality as quickly as possible.

18 Likes

Also, this, in the section on the waterfront district proposal is just sublime:

“The decision to locate the state’s capital on a backwoods farm instead of the bustling Town of Fayetteville…”

4 Likes

Local TV basically runs on car advertisements. They’re going to frame every story in a pro-motorist mindset.

3 Likes

Ironically, how many current/former car dealerships are located in this area right on the banks of Crabtree Creek. And how many times each year do they have to move ALL those cars to higher ground due to flooding? Didn’t that just happen again within the past few weeks? Maybe the car dealerships should get on board with this plan and move to higher ground (IE Capital or Glenwood) we can reclaim the creek.

3 Likes

I’m still baffled that they’re still there, but it’s their prerogative I guess (see what I did there?) . Obviously the financials pencil-out for them somehow. I suppose if that area becomes more valuable and retail oriented, they might end up moving some day.

they will get onboard when someone offers them enough money to move plus they will want a site to move to

1 Like

Car dealerships are very confined as not to violate franchise laws. A dealership can not be within a certain number of miles of another like franchise. Not many ITB parcels left for them to move to or they will be too close to others.

1 Like

They can always build up and put their lots in a garage. This is what is increasingly being done in Miami where getting cars off the ground during storms is every bit the issue as the one faced by the dealers along the creek.

1 Like

I have to hold back when I see these NIMBY posts on Nextdoor. I usually make one post and let it go. If you engage it just is an endless back and forth, and it makes the topic more visible to other NIMBYs to chime in. I got called a Karen for defending the bike lanes on Hardimont, when a few homeowners bitched about loosing free on-street parking. I was going to clap back but decided to just drop it. Not worth it.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure the N in Nextdoor stands for Nimby.

10 Likes

Don’t hold back beat them back with facts and sound logic lol .

1 Like

I hear you. But sadly, in today’s political climate, facts and sound logic don’t carry much weight.

1 Like