Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

It’s telling that Raleigh keeps garnering interest from outside developers while Highwoods sits on its hands.

Back to East End Market. Along with the Iron District and Dock1053, this is shaping up to be a significant little district that needs its own unifying name.

6 Likes

Hate to break it to you but just because the Koch’s furrow their brow when Trump says bad words does not mean they are not of his kind. They dedicated their lives to the same libertarian death cult, Don just doesn’t hide the ugly parts.

Anyways, enough about contemptible old men, real estate: I’d be interested to see how much of an equity stake they have. Bc the article was very fuzzy on that point.

3 Likes

Curious in what way you think it’s telling about highwoods? Meaning they don’t know what they’re doing or sitting on property so they can sell for a higher price?

Not to prolong this conversation, but I think my big concern with the Koch Brothers getting involved in this region is what happened in Nashville in 2018. Short version: Nashville had a transit referendum on deck that would have been transformative for the reason, and the Koch Brothers organized a bunch of NIMBYs and funneled in a ton of money to get it killed. Makes sense considering how they make their money.

Of course, we don’t have anything coming up on a ballot currently, but I’d hate to seem them pushing more car-oriented development around here (as if we don’t have enough already), and I’d really hate to seem them rally locals to kill some of our pending transit projects, like BRT and commuter rail.

14 Likes

It tells me that they aren’t interested in developing Raleigh. Clearly the demand is there.

1 Like

Good job. The design is simple and easy to understand. A configuration like this would also create opportunities around the St. Mary’s intersection which at time out of place between Glenwood and Oberlin.

Sidenote: I’ve always enjoyed the curves and trees on this part of Wade Avenue. Its very parkway like, which I don’t think is a bad thing. Wendover Avenue in Greensboro has some of the same character.

5 Likes

I agree. The road design helps keep the traffic from speeding more than it already does. If Wade was designed like Spring Forest/Lynn or the newer parts of W. Millbrook, it would destroy the entire area. When I was a kid, these roads were much more like Wade until they did their best to flatten, widen and remove all the quirks that made them charming.

7 Likes

Hello there Niko! :wave:

1 Like

With the dangerous conservatism and this state, they would fit in almost instantly. We have to kick them out of here, the represent dangerous old school Republican values that are no longer compatible today. I did some research before commenting on this there bi-partisan ploys are ridiculous. They are trying to buy the company just like even freakin’ billionaire in America.

1 Like

Let’s keep this in topic.

8 Likes

N&O coverage:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article253034783.html

5 Likes

The roof activation is a nice touch.

16 Likes

That shot of the rooftop seating area (very cool) also hints at a much larger tower next door…

7 Likes

A stationary tower crane is being installed today at the Iron Works development.

27 Likes

That definitely counts for ITB cranes!

8 Likes

Downtown North. Words words words

Saw it from 440 this afternoon. Cool stuff!

1 Like

Bringing back a discussion about the speed in Five Points. An article came up from my feed about speed cameras that were implemented in Chicago. I did not realize speed cameras were legal in the US (something I had heard a long time ago). I’m curious what other’s thoughts would be about them here in higher pedestrian areas.

The tickets are $35 for going 6 over the speed limit.

The article is from March but showed up as articles I may be interested in.

3 Likes

F**K THAT. Catch me speeding and hand me a ticket, officer. Fine. But Big Brother mailing me a ticket for going 6 over?? I REPEAT; F^%K THAT.

6 Likes

Word.

extra characters

1 Like