Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

The auto shop on the corner of Whitaker and Wake Forest has to go.

3 Likes

Probably wants more million$!

2 Likes

Haven’t checked this page in a few weeks but a coworker of mine is working on the TIA for the Ratchford Drive site and I think the city is having them look at a scenario to connect Ratchford Drive and one without the connection

Also Whitaker Mill between the Five Points Center for Active Adults and Wake Forest Road is slated to get a road diet sometime this year (came up in a recent BPAC meeting)

14 Likes

What’s a road diet? Would you happen to have a link to the BPAC minutes?

that section is currently 4 lanes (2 lanes in each direction), they’re proposing reducing it down to 1 lane in each direction with bike lanes and either an additional parking lane (making one side a parking protected bike lane) or a center two-way left turn lane

17 Likes

Awesome! I hope they continue it across Wake Forest Rd as the new developments start to open up. It would be a shame to have nice bike lanes that really don’t lead to anything useful.

3 Likes

Question: if you’re going the parking protected route, why wouldn’t you just shift everything over and do a two-way cycle track? Having only one lane protected is weird. Is it because cycle tracks complicate intersections?

3 Likes

Safest thing would be to keep them away from five points, go away, don’t come back, love ya!

1 Like

Two-Way cycletracks are not great when there are frequent driveways - there are a bunch of single family houses on Whitaker Mill Road and each of them have driveways going in/out - also the current 4-lane section starts at Reeves which is one block before the signal at Pine and the 2-lane section between Reeves and Five Points is just sharrows so there really isn’t a great transition between the two sections if there was a cycletrack.

6 Likes

I’m wondering about 2 way cycletracks as well. One protected lane is a bit weird; Especially when you aren’t able to pass slower riders or be passed by a faster rider. I can see why intersections might seem like they would be weird. I hate shadows; they might as well not exist and be a normal street. There’s quite a few streets that have sharrows that don’t seem like they’d be comfortable riding on.

I have ridden on Whitaker Mill on some short sections. More comfortable riding there than on Lake Boone Trail which has sharrows.

1 Like

Big if true. Combined with the news yesterday about the comprehensive study to improve 5 points intersections and this area might finally get the love it needs.

2 Likes

I’ll consider it huge if they ever get sidewalks on the Atlantic to Wake Forest section…

8 Likes

I assumed that was coming with the redevelopment? Also think they plan to put sidewalks from Georgetown → Hodges starting this summer. If all this comes to pass 5 points → East End could be radically improved from a pedestrian and biking perspective. I’d still like to see a punch through under or over capital blvd to connect 5 points to Mordecai/Brookside area.

5 Likes

Lol that Wake Forest Road sidewalk project has been talked about for years. I’ll believe it when I see it.

1 Like

ha probably the safe bet.

1 Like

Why do you hate Snoopy’s? :rofl:

7 Likes

Forgot about driveways, this makes perfect sense. Thank you!

don’t forget about The Bison

5 Likes

ABC 11 story today on RIW. Don’t think much was new but they did have a few tidbits I didn’t know off hand.

220 apartments some starting at 430 sq feet

Anticipate first office spots to be open sometime this year and apartments next year.

And… is this bridge really in the plans? I don’t remember seeing it before.

Also… does anyone know anything about 1249 wicker?

Edit to answer my own question about 1249; Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works - #889 by mike

12 Likes

The ped bridge was discussed earlier in this thread but I believe was value engineered out of the plans? Maybe we just assumed that?

2 Likes