Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

Thank you! I was searching every form of “Atlantic-Six Forks Intersection” I could think of and couldn’t find it. Don’t think we’ll be hitting that “Delivery 3Q 2021” :wink:

1 Like

Fresh picture of the site work currently going on for East End Market phase 2.
Very soon we should see the storage units, the place where 2112 percussion was and progress court business park being torn down.

14 Likes

this is the only one that hurts - I know they moved up Capital, and I’m very happy they were able to find a new spot rather than just shut down, but as a musician who has played many a local show… it was nice to have a percussion/music store this close to downtown and all the various (now dwindling…) venues

5 Likes

They’ve been doing demo work on the Progress Court buildings the past few days at least, it’s just been behind the exterior wall

RIW looking for 20 story zoning for their parcels for potential future phases.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/03/04/raleigh-iron-works-developers-seek-20-story-zoning.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=ae&utm_content=ra&ana=e_ra_ae&j=26916002&senddate=2022-03-04

“Raleigh Iron Works will create a new mixed-use innovation hub for Raleigh when it opens later this year,” said Anne Stoddard, Grubb Ventures director of development. “Increasing the height limit of a portion of the site will secure the long-term flexibility and vitality of the project, allowing for its future growth and additional economic opportunities for Raleigh and the region.”

Currently zoned 7 stories. Also, I don’t think any residents are in the radius of notification so there shouldn’t be many issues. Adjacent parcel to the south is also gunning for (has that been approved already?) 20 stories.

21 Likes

This is great, but there truly needs to be consideration for a street connection to Capital Blvd. Right now it is so disconnected even though it is RIGHT THERE. Better connectivity to the main thoroughfare into the city would only increase visitation and success.

8 Likes

Holes Voice: “i can fix that” haha
I drew up a plan (for all approaches into downtown) but specifically for this one here

Full discussion from the Gateways thread. Downtown Gateway - #189 by atl_transplant

14 Likes

Does anyone know what’s up with this RR crossing? It doesn’t show up on streetview, and it seems to be the only existing crossing that connects that property to Capital.

1 Like

904407P

Private Crossing owned by Norfolk Southern.
No road information given.

https://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofSafety/publicsite/Crossing/Report.aspx?phasetype=C&rpttype=I&txtcrossingnum=904407P

5 Likes

icanfixthat

Great reference, adored this movie growing up!

3 Likes

Something like that (Whitaker-Crabtree connection) was in the comprehensive plan for years. I can’t recall the exact time or reason it was deleted, but it was replaced with the current plan for Whitaker Mill to curve north.

While another crossing there would be good, it’s far from the worst offender in the area. There is nearly a mile and a half stretch with no connectivity between Mordecai and Five Points!

4 Likes

I think I put in 3 or 4 bridging that gap. Gotta get that rail yard moved!

Looks like Site Plan ASR-0013-2022 should also be uploaded to the City’s site tomorrow for mixed-use apartment building(s) at 819 E Six Forks. Old TBJ article indicated developer planned 5 story apartments here even though they were going to rezone it to 12 floors?? Looks like its still zoned RX-7-GR-CU so :person_shrugging:

9 Likes

From what I remember, they were hit with pushback multiple times, including trying to mandate affordable housing. 7 is an awkward building height in terms of materials and costs. That could have been the reason they didn’t max out the zoning.

That project was frustrating in that I believe the city’s future planning map had 15 stories or 20 stories recommended there.

Edit: I also believe that was before we had a shift in our council.

I’m pleasantly surprised at the site layout. No parking lots and they actually provided less parking than what was required. They tried to fully utilize the land area they had. Interesting that there will be townhomes and split-level townhomes at 2 edges of the property. But I’m curious what their plans would have been if they were granted the zoning variance.

14 Likes

I’m surprised by the placement of the parking garage—Right at the corner of the block facing the townhomes, rather than tucked away within the apartments. Seems like it wouldn’t be much of a view for the townhome residents?

1 Like

Pleasant surprise is right. Nice find.

@Christopher is right, those northeastern townhomes are going to have one awful view.

1 Like

With the way the townhome garages are, there may not be a front window so all their windows would be in the back facing away from the parking garage.

Nvm missed these. Yea these won’t be good. But, they’re rentals and honestly a lot of people don’t really even think about the stuff we do here lol

4 Likes

Not to mention that they are also immediately adjacent to the railroad.
Why couldn’t they have designed the project so that the garage was pushed against the railroad? My guess is that it would be more expensive. They likely wanted a nice place to drop a big rectangular parking garage.

1 Like

This one is about as boring and formulaic as they come. 340 residential units is good - but on 12 acres, at 30 units per acre, it’s a big yawn. Oh well; build it and move on.

6 Likes