Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

It’s a former warehouse and unused land next to a big car-centric shopping center. I’m just happy it’s at least semi-urban.

6 Likes
  • @orulz Hey, I agree with you both!
3 Likes

What percentage of folks living here will actually attempt walking to either Wegmans or Costco? My bet is that it will be under 5%.

2 Likes

Quick visit (not full resupply) to Wegman’s or to grab a bite at Torchy’s or something like that seems more likely than walking to Costco to schlep multi-packs of whatever after froggering Six Forks back to your abode…

3 Likes

I would argue if you lived a block from Costco, you’d probably still drive your shopping cart (car). Not YOU (@John) but most people. Wegmans I could see more frequent foot trips if convenient enough.

Depends on convenience and side walk experience :slight_smile:

This reminds me of my first trip to the US as a European 10+ years ago. I booked a Hampton Inn in suburban Columbus, Ohio directly across from a supermarket (Meijer). Guess what- it was literally impossible to walk there. A 6-lane road without a pedestrian crossing (Compare to 70/Brier Creek Pkwy). I had to get in my car, go on the main road, do a U-turn half a mile just to come back and park directly across from my hotel.

4 Likes

I guess I’m more speaking to the general purchases at Costco vs any average grocery store, walk experience to/from excluded. You’d have to make trips back and forth via foot to get the paper towels home, then go back for the gallon of chicken soup, then back again for the 5gal of rice, etc.

2 Likes

I’ve walked to that Costco for a Rotisserie Chicken and Wine on multiple occasions. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

$8 bottles of Prosecco LFGoooooooooo!

7 Likes

If I lived close by, I’d walk there too. There are plenty of things that I can buy at Costco that can fit into my rolling grocery bag.
https://www.amazon.com/dbest-products-Trolley-Shopping-Foldable/dp/B09BY34CQB/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B09BY34CQB&psc=1
They also make a bigger one. One might call that their Costco version.

6 Likes

Love being wrong here!

Also, we just got 4 of those bottles the other day. :champagne:

2 Likes

Live in the area, can confirm for Wegmans its more than 5%. If you’re going for a few things it isnt that bad of a walk.

Costco may be that. It is a doable walk if you’re getting just a few things and they’re light enough. Also, cheap hot dogs and pizza.

1 Like

Even Wendell Falls Publix is maybe 5% at any given time so I’d hope this would be a bit higher

1 Like

Looks like the Common Desk coworking space at East End Market is now open. Between Loading Dock and Raleigh Founded in the Gateway Plaza, that’s three coworking spaces in the neighborhood. Well situated for Midtown East residential density. I think the demand for coworking will continue given long-term changes in the job market, despite the recent uptick in return-to-office and hybrid setups.

Location - Coworking Space Raleigh | East End Market | Common Desk (thecommondesk.com)

Building - 2020 Progress Ct | Common Desk (thecommondesk.com)

Original Announcement - Common Desk is Expanding to North Carolina! | Common Desk (thecommondesk.com)

9 Likes

Bye bye storage and Progress Park.

This is on the south side of the townhomes with WF road in front, percussion shop building on the right
On the north side, site prep is underway. They have been bringing a ton of dirt + doing compaction.

20 Likes

Remind me again, what do they have planned for the plot between the road and the new offices in the back of the picture?

Drove by the Budleigh East site yesterday. What had previous looked like selective removal of the trees to keep some of the big oaks now has the site cleared 100%. Shame. But I guess not surprising.

5 Likes

Framing up and a lot of the walls of this guy seem mostly done. Quick work.

1 Like

Yeah I was also very disappointed to see this. There were a lot of really nice trees on that site.

2 Likes

The City has announced that they’re kicking off a study on Five Points:

On Tuesday, April 19, the City of Raleigh will hold a kickoff meeting for the Five Points Glenwood Avenue Study.

This project will:

• Investigate intersection improvements for Five Points.
  • Produce conceptual streetscape designs.
  • Analyze options to connect Five Points to the Capital Area Greenway system through sidewalks and/or neighborhood bikeways.

The meeting will be an opportunity to learn about the study team, planning process, and also provide your input on the unique challenges of Five Points. There will be additional opportunities for engagement throughout he entire project.

Please join the project kickoff meeting to learn about the study and give your input about current conditions in Five Points.

Five Points Study Kickoff Meeting
Hayes Barton Baptist Church Fellowship Hall
1800 Glenwood Avenue
Tuesday, April 19
7pm - 8:30pm

Learn more about the Five Points Glenwood Avenue Study by visit the project page!

15 Likes