Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

That’s awesome. I live in this neighborhood and might attend. Anyone have any context for how long something like this takes to actually be implemented? Assuming in the 7-10 year range

If we use the Six Forks Rd. Corridor study as an example, they are approaching 10 years and haven’t broken ground yet.

1 Like

It can vary. This will likely be much less mileage than Six Forks and “should” be far less controversial.

If things go well, 1 year for study, 2 years for NEPA (planning and environmental), 1 year for construction.

1 Like

So, 20 years? Maybe? LMAO

2 Likes

That “should” is carrying a whoooole lot of weight

We all know how much the NW corner of ITB loves change

2 Likes

Good info. Thanks!

I prefer the 4 year timeline :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha… I’m sure there’s some fun public meetings that way.
Also Is anyone else as bothered as me that in 2021 they can get a drive thru bank built there but not like a mixed use building to add actual character to what could be the best neighborhood in the city?

11 Likes

I really hope they dont do something gimmicky that takes up a bunch of land and makes it worse for pedestrians, like a roundabout with a fountain.

My recommendation: Make five points… into four points.
Simplify. Whatever maximizes sidewalk space - do that.

5 Likes

Dude they knocked down the old 1-story McDonalds in Cameron Village to build… a 1-story Chase bank branch complete with drive-thru. :roll_eyes: :expressionless:

8 Likes

I’m just glad they finally took down their “Coming 2021” sign… three months into 2022.

5 Likes

Some trees being cleared around the old service station at the corner of Whitaker Mill and Bernard. Any word on this project getting started?

1 Like

What is the project?

Last I heard it was an expansion of the retirement community next door.

3 Likes

I think Phase 1 is just a smallish welcome center building in the front? Master plan is a bunch of new 3 story buildings all over the place there and surface parking. Kinda disappointing. That intersection could’ve become a node of medium density retail/mixed-use.

2 Likes

Ton of site work going on at East End Phase 2. Guessing probably not too long (1-2 months?) before cranes go up for this. Such a big site… 2 or 3 cranes?

10 Likes

I took that picture 5 days ago and they brought even more dirt since then!
I’m guessing they are probably trying to “fill the gap” andake the elevation as flat as possible between wake forest Rd and progress court.
Wondering if there won’t be a 20ft retaining wall at the lowest point!

7 Likes

This article breaks down the project components and anticipated completion dates. It also mentions the pedestrian bridge being under design but not submitted for approval yet.

24 Likes

Glad to hear the ped bridge is being planned at least. Hopefully it happens.

11 Likes

Is there still a planned connection to the Crabtree creek Greenway? I feel like I remember seeing that somewhere.

2 Likes

The city is putting in sidewalks on that side of Wake Forrest. I know for sure it will go up to the greenway, just not sure if it’s going all the way to Six Forks or not.