FNB Tower (Charter Square)

13 posts were split to a new topic: First Citizens Bank in downtown Raleigh

I believe everything should also tapper down towards Union Sq. We don’t want the Capitol in a bit surrounded by tall towers, not that its possible with the churches and state buildings, but I still like to be able to see the sky and a view from that square in particular.

1 Like

Layfaette was proposed as 21 stories so one story more is all. One Glenwood never had a serious proposal from the Paramount folks. Raleigh MSA still maintains a list of the projects discussed in any fashion from the time period in question.
Edit: apologies @Vatnos , at least from the formative stage, several proposals over 20 were being openly discussed including One Glenwood. I’m still chalking it up to the overzealous pre 2008 crash though.

There is no guarantee you’d get 25/20/15 if the whole block was set at 40. The UDO *is working the way it was designed to. What you’re saying is the UDO isn’t written the way you wanted it to be written. I don’t don’t know what the source of the 40/20/12 step-down is but it really down’t bother me one bit. There is just this broad assumption that Raleigh is being stifled by it which I contend is false.

1 Like

Yeah, I seem to remember that the developer of The Paramount wanted to put a residential tower at the south end of Glenwood, though I thought it was supposed to be the other side of the street.

I guess you overlook all the snark directed at me around here? Don’t single me out. I find it offensive. I actually agree that places like the eastern half of 301 and N&O we should go up as high as the developer wants to. *My reason is because it takes pressure off the [finite] historic resources a tad further out that the 20 story footprints get pushed out into. I know the other reasons and have gradations of agreement with them. I still think the place we’ll eventually see 50 or 60 stories is where the Sheraton parking garage is on Salisbury.

I found the article from 2007 and you’re right, east side. And Vatnos was right too, it was talked about as between 20 and 30 stories. Obviously the mortgage securities bubble killed it…
“Raleigh lawyer and real estate investor Andy Sandman is finalizing plans for a mixed-use building tentatively called One Glenwood that could stand between 20 and 30 stories high with around 200 condominium units, ground-floor retail and a parking garage.”…
…“The One Glenwood project will be about seven blocks south on the east side of the block bound by Glenwood Avenue, Hillsborough Street and West Morgan Street. Land acquisition hasn’t been completed, but one tract is occupied by Chisholm Chiropractic.”

Thanks to my secret accomplice for teaching me to read hidden content.

The hook for this project was that, despite being over a train track valley, the east view condos would have had some pretty great views. I’m pretty sure that the bubble did kill it.

12 Likes

I liked the idea but thought it was putting too many on the market plus wasn’t convinced the site would easily hold such a heavy building without essentially digging out the entire embankment between the bridges and setting at the level of the tracks. Anyway, I am surprised the current One Glenwood folks haven’t bought to control the view situation.

FTW, the rendered building on the far left was the Hillsbourgh.

Which, I believe, was overscaled in the future skyline.

This picture taken through the chain link fence and the best angle I could get to show that they have started the stone work on the pillars. Hopefully all the ugly orange will be covered up soon.

8 Likes

I’m sure somebody else has a better view of this but they’re glassing up the resi section now. I’ll try to get out this weekend to get some aerial updates of various sites around DTR.

10 Likes

As I was driving by this morning, I notice that they had placed the American Flag at the top now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Taken this morning. You can see it’s topped out.

14 Likes

11 Likes

So, from this view, the roof of the building nearly touches the horizon. Did you take this photo from the top floor of One Progress?

Yes. I tried to get a good angle so that we could compare the heights. Once the cap of the tower is put on top this will be the 4th tallest building in Raleigh.

5 Likes

It might just be the angle of the shot, but it seems to me that the occupied floor of One Progress is a bit higher. If so, it will only be the crown that makes this building taller.

2 Likes