Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

That would explain the office portion but if that were to halt all phases - no good

Fortune favors the bold - the developer that was going on spec (Fallon) gets Pendo.
400H, Edison and now N&O stall

It feels like a chicken and egg problem. We need a big fish downtown for the momentum and marquee but that big fish does not want to wait 2 years. Commerce should push downtown as the location for new recruits

4 Likes

Companies located downtown have complained about the difficulty booking hotel rooms for their out-of-town clients and visitors. That doesn’t make it any easier to lure other companies downtown. Another chicken and egg problem.

6 Likes

Fallon was building on spec sure, but they never actually started building. The Nexus was supposedly building on spec too, but they didn’t get Pendo and now they aren’t building at all. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the opposite if the Nexus had gotten Pendo.

400H and Edison will never get built. If the Nexus won’t move forward on spec, it will never get built.

1 Like

A comment from Insightsoftware CEO Mike Lipps on why is moving to Forum on Six forks.
"it considered several locations – from downtown Raleigh to Centennial Campus – where Lipps formerly led a team of LexisNexis employees. The decision ultimately came down to timeframe. Lipps wanted to move in quickly, and he wanted a space with at least 30,000 square feet. "

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/06/25/a-new-raleigh-hq-for-a-fast-growing-startup.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

7 Likes

Good for them. Sad for DTR. It’s just another missed opportunity and probably just as important, a timing issue for DTR. I have read quite a few of these types of stories where we just couldn’t provide that 25,000 to 100,000 sq ft of needed “now” space. It’s truly a weird place to be and just as interesting to see where things will be in the next couple of years in regards to available office space considering the “likely” projects that are possibly moving forward. Onward and upward…lol :wink:

If these types of opportunities continue to trickle in, good for Fallon who will have the next bulk space available. That and Two Glenwood.

1 Like

Fallon hasn’t started construction because his site plan has yet to be approved and he certainly does not have any building permits yet.

I know one of the consultants working on this project and checked in with them. He said the project is still very much moving forward with the plans and permitting process. It is an extremely complicated project and the review process with the City is going to be lengthy. I think they previously announced a start by years end but he said more likely early 2020 so not sure where the rumors the project is now iced are coming from. He also said the residential and hotel design is catching up to the office and the plan is trending to go all at once.

30 Likes

Well, that’s really encouraging news! Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

2 Likes

@rucker, if you’re going to post nuggests like that, I think we need to hear from you more often than once every 4 months. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Sorry clarify a little for me. Do you mean they plan to ask for ok and permits all at once or plan to start building all of the buildings at same time?

1 Like

I reported that the project was delayed a year based on info from someone connected to the structural engineering firm working on this project. Everyone else decided that meant it was done for good. 🤷

3 Likes

1 year makes sense either way. Nothing in Raleigh gets built on time.

2 Likes

You can say that again.

Little more action in the right direction hiring Foundry Commercial as the commercial leasing agent, other than that, no real news to speak of.
““At this time, we are actively looking for an anchor tenant to help brand the building, making Nexus the perfect space for a business that would like to cement their reputation as a key player in the Raleigh business scene,” said John Kelly, Market Leader for Foundry Commercial’s Raleigh office, in a statement.”

8 Likes

They can always catch building herpes AKA WeWork sign. It’s okay almost half the buildings have them it’s not dangerous just unsightly.

2 Likes

@Francisco Your Lumsden Boone question is answered in Leo’s first pic here (and others).

2 Likes

Ah, I stop caring about this project long ago guess I blanked this part out. Haha.

2 Likes

Interesting that WRAL thinks something is actually happening for The Nexus.
Seems like this is a repeat story but shows a date of July 11.

We haven’t had much hope for this one; in fact this topic is only in The Pub and hasn’t made it to New Construction. But if they want a 2021 delivery, they better get started. I’m sure the lack of an anchor is the hold up.

Development plans include a 325,000-square-foot, 20-story office tower that will face Salisbury Street with ground floor retail. The first phase of development is slated for a 2021 completion.

1 Like

They said, “Smoky Hollow”. :relaxed:

In regards to Nexus, doesn’t really look like anything new, just reciting previous information as far as I can tell?

4 Likes